Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony TFM-720W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony TFM-720W

I did this one a while ago. This one had a very, very stuck motor. I use brake cleaner in a small syringe that I apply like oiling the motor and then spinning it. I only use a small amount at the time and keep a piece of paper towel underneath to catch the overflowing brake cleaner. Usually 2 ml brake cleaner totaly applied in small amounts of ~0.3 ml at the time to get the motor unstuck. Brake cleaner evaporate quickly and have never harmed the whirlygig or anything else. I only apply small amount of brake cleaner at the time so there a very small risk of it going anywhere else and damage anything. This work for me and I would not say this is the best way of doing it but for me the brake cleaner I used have been very effective and not harmed anything for me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3942.JPG.png
Views:	154
Size:	894.8 KB
ID:	18934 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_3941.JPG.png
Views:	199
Size:	804.1 KB
ID:	18935

In this I used LED supply that I made myself. I took the power from the radio so I didn't need to step down the voltage from the mains voltage. With this supply I use a potentiometer for R2 and a appropriate resistor for R1. There is calculators to calculate which resistor value you need depending on desirable output voltage on the LM317 regulator. I use the potentiometer so I can fine tune the brightness on the LED's. I also use the 2 diodes to protect the input for short circuit and the other diode for output short circuit from the capacitors discharging. The 0.1uF capacitor filters high frequency noise in the LM317 input and the 1uF capacitor is used to stabilize the output. The 10uF capacitor prevents amplification of the ripple as the output voltage is adjusted higher. If someone is interested I can post more detailed information about this regulator?

Name:	MS Paint _ Microsoft Paint Online (1) (1).png
Views:	243
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	18931

Here I choose the 365 nm blacklight LED's which is the correct nanometer they used originally. The difference with these LED's is that they do not have a dark blue filter as the original blacklight tube had. So that's why the original blacklight have more of a purple tone while these LED's bleed more of a blue visible light. You will not see very much of that blue visible when installed behind everything. In the right picture you can see the regulator I built.

Name:	DSC_0949.JPG.png
Views:	154
Size:	915.9 KB
ID:	18932 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0948.JPG.png
Views:	194
Size:	1,016.6 KB
ID:	18933

Looking good. I like the power supply. I see the potentiometer is an open type so beware that over time it may become contaminated by dust over time. Also, I don't recommend scavenging power from the board as you never know if the sine wave is modified or unstable from tapping into it. I always draw from pure mains.

What's the mA output?

Comment

Thank you Engineer!

If I remember correctly I took the ac that comes from the transformer and goes into the radio before the switch. So I think that's should be good enough ac signal to rectify?

I have not measured the mA but the LM317 is rated for 1.5A. I know that some of that amperage is wasted as heat when the voltage is droppped. With a larger voltage drop and a bigger load more heat will develope and a heatsink is needed. I usually try to drop the voltage as little as possible and find a source that match my needs. You need atleast 3V more input voltage then the target voltage you want. I don't remeber which voltage I dropped here but I never had the any noticeble change in the temp on the pad so no heatsink was needed. Driving the LED's, dropping the voltage and the resistors in the circuit is a very small load. I have dropped 10 volts one time without any problems and very small hint of ambient change without a heatsink.

Yeah I know the potentiometers I use is not the best and they hopefully shouldn't drift too much after I adjusted my brigthness. My understanding is that open carbon tracked potentiometers is not the best performer and should not be adjusted too much. Didn't know better when I ordered the parts, atleast I have fun doing this and hopefully I'm learning something.

Comment

Good explanation, sir. Hope this setup works out for you!

Also, I was asking about milliamps....how many does your power supply produce and also what does your LEP lamp spec call for?

Comment

Thank you!

I see know after you were asking about the mA I started looking into everything to see if I could answer your question. I think I might figure out why I burn out my LED's. I have only regulated the voltage and not the current. So I will put a resistor after the output on the regulator to limit the current to LED's.

My power supply should provide up to 1500mA. The LED's is forward voltage 3.2V, and the forward current is 20mA.

So thanks again Engineer for getting my little head thinking and looking into more of this and possibly find out were I went wrong in my thinking.

Comment

You are on the right path!

Comment

Working...
            X