Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ying and Yang Copal 222s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ying and Yang Copal 222s

Hi Flipclockfans,

I’m a newbie here showing off my (kinda) matching pair.

I recently got a good deal on a new/old stock 115v 12hr white one on eBay to compliment my 240v 24hr black one.

I followed Mackey’s excellent video for removing unwanted NyQuil branding and it went pretty well in the end.

I did learn things:

In my infinite wisdom I decided to use nail polish removal instead of brake fluid: big mistake. The stuff is so strong it stripped the letters off instantly and then started to eat away at the lens leaving a cloudy mess. Thank goodness for Meguir’s PlastX, which fixed the problem but I wasn’t able to remove all of the remaining NyQuil text still etched into the lens on first go. Perhaps I need to attempt it again in the morning.

A bigger mistake was to allow the nail polish remover to touch the white edge. This literally stripped the shine off, which I’ve done my best to polish back but I know it’s not as shiny as it should be on one side. That one was a tough lesson. Again, maybe I can make it better but I’m scared of rounding off the edge of the case by more hard elbow grease so I may quit while I’m ahead.

Interestingly, the COPAL logo font/kerning/size are slightly different between the two, which surprised me, and inside the black one there is a blue woven wrap around the light assembly and on the white one it is clear and plastic. Guess they modified little things as they went along?

Anyway, here are some pictures for those who like pictures
    Attached Files
    Last edited by eliot33; March 4, 2021, 10:42 PM. Reason: Adding pics - had to resize them to make them small enough!

Thanks for sharing your process, looks like you polished the lens up well, I don't see anything on it that stands out. You will always see more of the imperfections when you are the one working on it and having the two next to each other for comparison just makes it more challenging. Is your plan to combine the two still?

Comment

Hi Retroflip,

Thanks for your reply. I'm still undecided. I really like the way the black one looks compared to the white, and literally all my clocks are set to 24 hours, or 'Military time" as everyone is quick to remind me here in the US. To change them away from how they were made almost seems 'wrong', and definitely a risk to take two beautiful clock and reduce them to just one. Maybe I'll just leave the black one displaying the year (2021) like only it can - and I'll manually advance it annually!

Comment

These 222's are great clocks for someone just getting into the hobby. I like your yin / yang situation! My vote is to keep them as is because they're both in such great condition.

Comment

Those two are a great pair! I love that look. Good work.
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
          X