Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Copal 705L, a fancy flip clock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Copal 705L, a fancy flip clock!

After finding this formerly non-running Copal 705L on buyee for a nice price, it arrived at my house! As per usual, let's not even talk about the international shipping price, we're trying to forget about that lol. Anyhow, it actually came in great shape, alongside another TFM-C400 that I needed parts from to make mine perfect, but that's for another time.

Getting to the teardown, these are quite simple to get apart! The whole body shell of the clock is one piece of metal, I'm not sure if it's copper or bronze. But it's an interesting design, where the sides come off the ends and the clock mechanism slides out that way!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1451.jpeg
Views:	232
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	17781

Name:	IMG_1449.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	120.3 KB
ID:	17782

To fix it, I had to oil the motor, clean the gearbox, and clean the tiles as they were quite dirty for some reason. As a side note, this is one of the few clocks I've seen that uses both blacklighting and a neon bulb!

Name:	IMG_1538.jpeg
Views:	194
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	17783

Name:	IMG_1539.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	219.1 KB
ID:	17784

After those adjustments, it runs perfectly! Such a nice piece of flip clock history, I feel like this is really a high end clock for the time period. I have yet to encounter a clock with a metal enclosure, not wood or plastic. The blacklight, which still works as you see, is such a cool element as well. It's so fancy yet so simple!

There is a small message in Japanese on the back. No idea what it says, maybe someone can translate it. Anyways, just wanted to share this!

Name:	IMG_1545.jpeg
Views:	213
Size:	235.9 KB
ID:	17785

Name:	IMG_1550.jpeg
Views:	191
Size:	179.0 KB
ID:	17786

20th anniversary for Nissan Motor Company or maybe for being at Nissan for 20 years. Sorry, not my best translation.

The 702, 705L, RG-405, Caslon/Copal 601 are all made from extruded aluminum. Some are anodized a color and others are plain brushed aluminum. The 702, 705L and RG-405 all share the same end-caps and adjustment knobs.

Once that OEM neon phosphorous-sleeved blacklight fails (probably soon) you can ditch the transformer, the tag strip with that giant HOT 3 watt resistor and run one of my 120 to 12-volt blacklights.

The 705L is particularly rare so they are keepers. Looks good.

Comment

I have this clock. One of my favorites. I think the Japanese on the back increases it's interest value. I like that they put in on the back instead of plastering it on the top like many did in the US.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I agree, this one is a keeper for sure. It certainly cost me a little to get it over here from it's homeland, so if I were even to sell it, the price would be too high for the market anyways. It's found a nice little resting spot on my shelf underneath my record collection.

Name:	IMG_1556.jpeg
Views:	180
Size:	184.0 KB
ID:	17824

There are one or two tarnish spots on the outer casing, would anyone know what to use for those? I have some cape cod cloths for metal but wanted to make sure that I got some answers first!

Comment

Well, let me know if you are ever letting it go. It would look nice next to my 702 that I converted to blacklight with a 7462 movement.

As for the blemishes, maybe some acetone or %70 alcohol and some light buffing. Anodizing makes the aluminum a little harder and protects it, but can still be scratched/damaged. Anodizing also makes it harder to clean due to the hardness it induces in the surface of the aluminum itself. As the anodizing ages it thins out and it is less able to protect the aluminum beneath. Catch-22. Don't use Simple Green as it will mar the surface. Nothing alkaline-based.

Sometimes a stain is impossible to remove from an anodized surface.

Comment

That is a nice clock in a very nice colour!

Is the picture playing a trick with my eyes or is the wheel for the seconds exposed? When yes, that seems to be different from all the 705L's I've seen in my life...

Comment

It is playing a trick! I thought that too but it actually lives behind the plastic crystal on the front.

Comment

I would have been highly surprised if it had actually been exposed, but the picture does play tricks with your eyes

Comment

Little update to the history of this particular clock, the minutes started piling up behind each other after flipping around the 18 minute mark. Took it apart to investigate, and it seemed to have been a bent tile-side-wing (we really need a name for this, like the whirligig). Had to do some very careful surgery!

Name:	IMG_1780.jpeg
Views:	160
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	18778

Name:	IMG_1781.jpeg
Views:	155
Size:	236.5 KB
ID:	18779

All fixed and ready to go! Can't believe the blacklight tube still works on this after so much time. If anyone hasn't seen Mackie's latest video on the blacklight flip clocks, I'd recommend checking it out!

Name:	IMG_1782.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	230.4 KB
ID:	18780

Comment

Working...
                  X