Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony Digimatic TFM-C650W ca. 1973

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony Digimatic TFM-C650W ca. 1973

This is my Sony Digimatic TFM-C650W, ca. 1973. I purchased it in November 2005 for $15. It features an AM-FM Radio with lighted dial, alarm indicator light, 60 minute sleep timer, Snooze Bar (works with radio and buzzer alarm), tone control, buzzer volume control, headphone jack, and eternal antenna connectors.

One feature at least somewhat unique to this model is the second indicator wheel. The clock motor is connected directly to this wheel, and another notched wheel advances the flip digit mechanism every minute.

The other highlight of this clock is its radio. It sounds better than nearly every clock radio I’ve ever heard, of any era… except for the Bose Wave Radio.

The clock has given me no real trouble in the 10 years I’ve had it, which is a bit unusual as I’ve dealt with motor/gearbox failures in most of my Panasonic clocks. I did give it a thorough cleaning when I first bought it. Dirty and unflattering eBay photos are probably why I got it so cheap. The clock is no museum piece, but it’s generally in great shape. I had it apart again this week because it was a bit dusty behind the lens again. I also wanted to try and remedy some rather dramatic static heard while adjusting the volume. I saw Mackey use contact cleaner in one of recent his videos and decided to buy some and try it out. Unfortunately the potentiometers seem pretty well sealed up (pictured in full album linked below). I probably wasn’t aggressive enough to get enough cleaner inside to make a big difference.

nice clock dude the chrome detail from around the front can be renewed with automotive pinstriping ...if they make it that thin if not cut the size down with a good sharp hobby knife and a ruler...that's my tip to ........​

Comment

Originally posted by troton6@hotmail.com View Post
      nice clock dude the chrome detail from around the front can be renewed with automotive pinstriping ...if they make it that thin if not cut the size down with a good sharp hobby knife and a ruler...that's my tip to ........​
      One of these days I need to gain access to a buffer and polish the front plastic on all my clocks. That would be a good time to refresh the chrome.

Comment

automotive ----scratch and swirl remover is the best for that too ....................

Comment

Great pictures as always!
          ~ Mackey Site Administrator
          If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
          If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Such a beautiful clock and great pictures! Your pictures are what inspired me to purchase this model when I found it online! So innovative to have the antenna inside the power cord. I'm curious how that works, is there a signal wire embedded in the cord?

Comment

• nx_2000
              nx_2000 commented
              Editing a comment
              There's no metal on metal contact between the power cord and that clamp, but I guess they're close enough to convey the signal. I presume it's a similar implementation to handheld radios which use the headphone cable as the FM antenna. My phone still works that way.

• VintageEcollector
              VintageEcollector commented
              Editing a comment
              Oh, now I see what that metal clamp is for! I didn't pay enough attention to see it connected to the external FM antenna connector. Thanks for the explanation!
          Working...
          X