Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elgin RD-1040, a circular marvel!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elgin RD-1040, a circular marvel!

Thought I'd share my restoration of my Elgin RD-1040, as its a pretty rare clock and I have yet to see another one like it. I won it for about $25 on eBay, and it came in pretty good condition. Both neon bulbs were burnt out of course, and the radio worked but had the AM/FM switch issues typical to clock radios.

Some cleaning with electronic spray, and two neon bulbs later, it was pretty much ready to go. This is the first clock I've had where everything is vertically mounted inside of it, most of these clock radios usually horizontally mount the components. This makes the take apart a little harder as you have to get everything screwed in just correctly otherwise it won't go back together.

There are many knobs on this clock, and they all have this nice painted chrome finish. The clock originally had this on the top and bottom lines of the dial "dome", but it was really tarnished and missing in certain places so I polished it off. I'd like to put this back on, does anyone know what paint can be used to accomplish this? I was thinking model paint or something.

The "dome" also has some imperfections on inside as well, as you can imagine it's hard to reach in there as it's glued to that white faceplate. Gonna try to remove it later this weekend and see what I can do. Still also have to find out if the radio tuner is supposed to be lit as well when that's on.

For now, this is actually my everyday clock on my nightstand, and it wakes me up to NPR everyday quite well. The speaker is tiny compared to many clocks but it doesn't sound terrible.

The chrome used on the knobs is actually nickel-based plastic chrome. It actually has metal in it!

Anyhow, this works fairly well: Amazon.com: MOLOTOW Liquid Chrome Alcohol Paint Pump Marker, 4mm, 1 Each (703.103): Office Products

It takes some practice to get it just right. Make sure the fiber drawing tip is really saturated or it'll just lay down like paint and not be very shiny.

This also works, but is quite expensive: MIRROR - the world’s mirroriest mirror chrome paint – Culture Hustle USA

Comment

Ooooh! Good find, thanks! I’m actually really interested now in seeing if it has a little bulb inside for the tuner.

Would also love to hear if anyone has seen another one of these or maybe knows when it came out!

Comment

With regard to the Molotow pencils, I would certainly practice a good while before touching the actual clock. I have practiced a bit now and am still not where I want to be. You need a really steady hand to begin with...

Comment

Perhaps I will mask it off and spray paint that section for better results? Sounds easier perhaps.

Comment

If you can find spray paint that will give you a proper chrome finish, that might be a solution. I have not found it yet. Masking it off can be tricky as well, you are always at risk that some tiny drops come through beneath the tape.

Nothing's perfect

Comment

Correct. I'd have so mask it either way, spray painting or using the marker. I've gotten pretty good at it though with all the case repainting I've done recently

Comment

I've tried and failed on fixing chrome on clocks. I agree the the experts above. It's going to take practice and you might not get the results you like. You've got to be very careful with paint and the additives that are in them. You could very well ruin your clock.
                I've gotten to the point that I accept that there are imperfections. I don't need a pristine clock. I'll still polish a front clear piece but I'm staying away from polishing the cases also. Again, I've personally gotten to the point that it doesn't bother me and ... it's vintage.
                ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

That’s a good point... I don’t want to ruin this so I may just remove the plastic and clean the inside really well. I’ll post pictures once it’s done.

Comment

Just as an aside. The clock brand is pronounced "L-gin" (gin like the drink). If you pronounce it "L-gen" it will make folks in Elgin, Illinois mad. (trust me ... I made the mistake in a video and got roasted for it).
                    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

What a beauty! I always liked the rounded shape of these, I think I ran across one sometime last winter, but I don't recall the price. You are right that they don't come up too often!

For chrome, my go-to would be Tamiya X-11 Chrome paint. You'll want to play around with it on things that aren't your clock first, and you might even want to try it on a hidden surface (like the inside) to make sure it adheres right. I've used the stuff for chrome parts on model cars, planes, and tanks and it looks pretty good- though I usually wind up giving everything two coats. Testors and Hobby Boss both make similar products, and while I can't imagine they'd be much different than the Tamiya, I've only ever used the Tamiya paints before, so that's the only one I can speak on from experience.

For more info, you might want to look up a "chrome painting guide" on YouTube- there's a multitude of really skilled scale model builders out there, and the tools and techniques they show off might be helpful for your project here.

Whatever you choose to do, good luck and keep us posted!

Comment

Okay, I disambled the clock again, and replaced the bulb. As I expected, it’s a 12v 50ma bulb that is commonly used in clock radios. The holder was difficult to remove, but once that’s out, you can maneuver the whole radio display mechanism upwards in a swinging method to get at the holder.

Cleaning the insides of the acrylic front cover, was a different story. They melted parts of it TO the clock body sadly, and the awful black glue was used as well. I managed to chip most of it away, but the case still cracked

Not too bad, but I’ll have to look for another one if I ever see one to make the clock perfect again. It’s now just a little more unique! And the radio tuner light works as needed, which is what I wanted. Function over form sometimes

Comment

Working...
                        X