Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My $9 Sony flip clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My $9 Sony flip clock

Here is proof their is still some great low cost flip clocks out there.

I usually try to avoid the full wood cabinet clock radios. Most of them I have come across on eBay are damaged on the edges or are really neglected. I could not pass this one up for $9 with a local pick up. What really made this a deal is I was a 30 minute drive. No worry about damage in shipping.

The eBay description said the current owner bought a house 23yrs ago with the clock left in the garage. Since then he had used it in the garage as a radio only. I thought it was an interesting story.

The clock cabinet was in great shape. No damage whatsoever. The top was a little faded but not bad. The clock motor was seized from dried lubricant. The neon bulb was burnt out. The switches all needed cleaning with deoxit. The sleep knob was broken but I had a spare. The graphics are missing from the left side knob that’s not a big deal. Overall it was in nice condition for living half its life or more in a garage in Michigan’s extreme temperature swings.

The motor came back to life after a good cleaning. I used a product called “liquid gold” on the wood case. It’s a wood oil. It looks new again after 4~5 light applications. The lens polished up nicely. The neon bulb as replaced with a OEM style equivalent. The radio sounds great. I like the speaker at the bottom of the case.

Good luck with your treasure hunting out there!

What a great "garage kept" flip clock! It looks fantastic.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I LOVE those old wood cabinet Sony units. Looking good!
      Last edited by ; December 2, 2020, 11:30 AM.

Comment

That is really cool, would love to get my hands on one of these some day!

Comment

What a slick unit! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
          X