Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unknown JIL TFC-488

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unknown JIL TFC-488

Hello,

I recently found a flip clock radio and was looking for more information on it. As you can see in the pictures it is a JIL candle flip clock, but the thing I love about it is the window to see that it is working. It makes the clock look extra retro in my opinion.
    I tried to find a picture of one like it online but cant find the exact model. I am wondering the year it was made, and if it was a low end or high end product at the time. It also seemed weird to me not to find another one like it online, makes me think its either rare, or a piece of crap no one cares about. Thank you.

The controls look like those I've seen on a Sounddesign clock. I wonder if they're related.
    I would say it was a mid range product. As with most collectibles, the value of a clock is more dependent upon whether someone wants it or not, not really whether it's rare or not. The Panasonic RC-6025 was Panasonic's bargain basement entry level flunky flip clock. Today, it commands 175 to 250+ dollars on eBay due to its appearance in the movie Groundhog Day. The real expensive Panasonics are lucky these days to pull in 30% of that. So really, if someone had that as a kid, it may be worth something to them.
    In my experience, there are few people just collecting a flip clock just because it's rare. Unless it fits into that collector's niche.
    Honestly, you'd be doing good to get 35-50 dollars for that clock. But don't think it's junk!! Never!!
    If that clock found its way on to a movie set its value would shoot up.
    Thanks for posting the pics!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Also,
      How much motor sound should it make. I tried to sleep with it by my bed and could not stand the gear-noise hum. Should it be that loud or does this mean something is wrong with it. If I open it up would some grease or something help it, or hurt it?

Comment

Nice find!! Looks awesome. I have a Soundesign and a KMart model flip clock, both have the same Copal mechanism. Upon taking the Kmart model apart for cleaning, I found that the inside of the case was imprinted with the words "Property of Soundesign". Clearly, SD sourced flip clocks for a variety of other "house" brands. Maybe yours would have some clues inside. As far as the noise goes, my SD is noisier and I think more worn than my KMart clock. Due to the mechanical nature of the mechanism, I believe that probably all clocks have at least some "noise". I look forward to other members comments!

Comment

Well I decided to open it up. Sadly I can not see the gears that are running the whole time as they are covered. It sure is amazing to see how bad old soldering was.

Comment

Nice, nice clock radio. I like this one, thanks for the pictures. Definitely not junk, and what's more, IT WORKS! There are some things you cannot find online (happens to me regularly - I deal with weird and rare stuff). The motor probably just needs to be oiled. I had two Sankyo cyclometers, those were really noisy but they had a different motor design. My flipclocks, on the other hand, just hum steadily and it's not really noticeable - they have the same type of motor as yours.
            Last edited by Matthew; August 27, 2016, 02:34 PM.
            SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Sirjess, if you haven't yet, go to the repair/restoration area here and get some tips. Your flip clock is definitely save-able and should be saved!!

Comment

Not to bring back a thread from the dead...but...

"JIL" stands for JUTAN INTERNATIONAL LIMITED which is the company who imported these "Candle" brand clock to Toronto, Canada from Hong Kong/China.

Comment

Working...
                X