Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 228 Flyer and Manual

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 228 Flyer and Manual

More NOS stuff, this time Copal 228s, this was bought from Yahoo Auctions Japan from a seller that had all five colors new in box, I did not manage the red and blue. They did come with a retailer flyer that has somewhat humorous translated marketing copy, I think intended for the domestic market.

Click image for larger version  Name:	228flyerfront.jpg Views:	6 Size:	95.1 KB ID:	12031

Copal 228 Flyer Front
    Google translate:

New release Copal 228
    ---one color bezel---
    it's so smooth...it's for all ages!!
    Digital clock with 24-hour alarm

Cash price ¥ 3,300

Click image for larger version  Name:	228flyerback.jpg Views:	5 Size:	97.2 KB ID:	12032

Copal 228 Flyer Back
    Google translate:

Left column:
    ● Alarms give peace of mind to the sleeping sun, who feels weak in the morning.
    Since it is a 24-hour system, it does not ring in the morning and afternoon. The schedule is full!
    If you enjoy your life, please use it for multiple purposes.

● The sleek body line, beautiful colors and soft mood, which are ideal for interior lighting, brighten the room.
    For cute accessories, please!

● A perfect match for a sense of life that doesn't interfere with work or study.
    Even if it is placed on a TV or radio, it does not affect performance. It is perfect for young people.

● An accurate and reliable clock motor rotates in perfect synchronization with the super accurate electric frequency.
    High accuracy and durability, always tell the exact time.

● Ultra-modern design and functionality very popular in America and Europe. Good things are used habitually even across the sea.

● Don't worry if you move, switching between 50 and 60 hertz is easy. It can be used anywhere in the country.

● Affordable price Gifts for entrance (looking at rest of translation I think this is school related, for entering into a school program) and wedding gifts…. A swanky gift full of taste and practicality.
    It is a wonderful gift that will convey your true heart forever.

Under clock image:

Specifications: Model Copal 228
    Ku color bezel>
    Power supply AC100V 50, 60HZ switchable motor High-performance compact low-speed synchronous motor
    Power consumption 6W 1 month About 26 yen (Looking it up, roughly .10 cents in 1973 dollars. .58 cents in todays usd)
    Size Medium 164 × depth 104 × height 77 mm
    Weight 500 g
    24 hours system
    Color type Red Yellow Blue Green Alarm Dark gray
    Others Neon lamp with a code of 2 meters (readable from 6 feet at night perhaps?)
    Color type Red / Yellow / Blue / Green / Dark gray (also called black elsewhere)
    Cash price ¥ 3,300, (roughly $12 dollars in 1973 usd, $70 in todays usd)

Click image for larger version  Name:	copal-calendar73.jpg Views:	0 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	12043
    Each box had a small tabbed metal calendar for '73 in a plastic bag, I thought I figured out what the tabbing for, cant remember now,
    maybe someone has an idea what the intended use was for them?

Click image for larger version  Name:	228-surveycard.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.4 KB ID:	12044
    copal survey card:
    Google translate:

Thank you for purchasing our product. This card will be used as a user's information, so please fill in each item with information and return it.
    Digital clock Copal 228 User power card

TV / magazine / newspaper / suspended in a train / storefront / suggested in a store / suggested by an acquaintance / other ()

● bought by myself
    ● gift Received wedding gifts / Enter, Graduation celebrations / Architectural celebrations (this is housewarming?)/ Souvenirs / Jobs / Returns / Others

(Did you know this product on TV / in magazines / in newspapers / on trains? Hanging / At the store / Looking at using / Other () / I did not know

● Convenient to use / Inconvenient / Accurate / Inaccurate / Easy to see / Difficult

● Design is good / Normal / Bad / Cute

● Front Colors are red / blue / yellow / green / black

● Other opinions and impressions ………… Favorite's name, address, shop, purchase date of purchase

Copal 228 Manual

Click image for larger version  Name:	manualpage1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	96.3 KB ID:	12045

Click image for larger version  Name:	manualpage2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	82.1 KB ID:	12046

google translate:

■ How to handle ■
    1. Plug the power cord into an indoor outlet. When electricity is supplied, a neon lamp comes on and the rotating plate starts to move.

2. Turn the time adjustment knob counterclockwise to set the current time. (Refer to how to set the time) Please note that this knob cannot be reversed. Also, the time plate is AM. Since it is divided into PM, please use AM in the morning and PM in the afternoon.

3. Set the alarm.
    a. When you turn the alarm set dial clockwise, the alarm drum turns, so set the time you want to activate the alarm to the hands (alarm position). The alarm drum numbers are AM. AM that is divided into PM and displays the time. It is linked to PM. The scale of the drum is 20 minutes per scale, but there is a position where it snaps in the middle. This position is 10 minutes. This dial cannot be reversed.

Middle left image (Top blue arrow in image is 'alarm set', lower blue arrow is marked 'alarm stop'

b. Pull up the alarm set lever on the back. This will give you an alarm at the desired time.

c. To stop the alarm, push down the alarm set lever to stop. If this lever is lifted within 1 and a half hours after the alarm is stopped, it will recharge again, so please pull it up after this time has passed or before going to rest.

d. The alarm on the Copal 228 is a 24-hour clock. It rings in the morning and never in the afternoon.

4. You can change the time or change the alarm set with the power cord plugged in.

Click image for larger version  Name:	manualpage3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	12047

Google translate:

■ Power frequency (Hertz) Copal 228 is delivered with all the frequencies adjusted according to the power frequency of your home, but please check the frequency displayed on the cosmetic box because of love. In addition, please be careful when gifting to a region with a different frequency, or when moving.

■ Switching of power supply frequency (hertz) When switching is required due to moving or different frequency, the procedure is as follows.

(1)(2) In the direction of the arrow
    pull out.

(3) While pulling up
    Pull out.

(4) Remove the screw

(5) Remove the screw

Click image for larger version  Name:	manualpage4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	161.8 KB ID:	12048

Google translate:

(Upper left pin position diagram is 60hz to 50hz, right one shows moving from 50hz to 60hz.)

Move the specified pin with a screwdriver or tweezers, and
    Match the number.
    After switching the frequency, plug the power cord into an outlet.
    Check that the dial is set normally. If there is no abnormality
    Put on the top lid.

(5)(4) Stop the screw (put the screws back in see previous page) (3)
    When inserting the alarm set level, be careful not to cover the thin part at the bottom of the case.

(2)(1) Put back in order (see previous page)

Text on back of manual:
    Google translate:

* COPAL's digital clock is different from previous clocks and directly displays the time with numbers, so you can clearly and accurately know the current time.

* The Copal 228 has a modern design with a modern look, a colorful body (red, blue, yellow, green, black) and a convenient 24-hour alarm.

* Copal has been making camera shutters for more than 20 years, and its 1/1000 second technology has been utilized.

* There is no difference in performance even if you place it on an electric product such as a TV or radio as a storage place.

■ Specification Mouth type: Digital clock / Copal 228 Source: AC 100V 50 Hz or 60 Hz switchable motor: High-performance small low-speed synchronous motor type Electric power consumption: 6 W 1 month about 26 yen (alarm sounded 10 minutes a day Case) Alarm: 24-hour drum type 10-minute interval (20 minutes per scale) Size: 164 mm x 77 mm x 104 mm Weight: 500 g Others: Neon lamp, 2 m cord included

Click image for larger version  Name:	228box.jpg Views:	0 Size:	35.9 KB ID:	12049

Last edited by RetroFlip; May 22, 2020, 01:08 AM.

This is some swanky stuff for sure. Thanks for sharing. I love this kind of stuff.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Super super cool.

Comment

For some reason I have a soft spot for the 228, to me it is a bit of a cross over between the older and the newer Copal clocks. The black one is rare, I think it was officially never sold in Europe.

Attached a pic of a 228 I 'did up' recently, I thought this clock came out really nice with its 'gut' exposed!
        Attached Files

Comment

• RetroFlip
          RetroFlip commented
          Editing a comment
          Interesting tidbit on the black, the sloping window does well without the bezel and lets you see a bit more of the movement.

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
        For some reason I have a soft spot for the 228, to me it is a bit of a cross over between the older and the newer Copal clocks. The black one is rare, I think it was officially never sold in Europe.

Attached a pic of a 228 I 'did up' recently, I thought this clock came out really nice with its 'gut' exposed!
        Very cool shot and 228!

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
          Each box had a small tabbed metal calendar for '73 in a plastic bag, I thought I figured out what the tabbing for, cant remember now,
          maybe someone has an idea what the intended use was for them?
          They're watch band calendars, made for watches that weren't day daters.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Watchband Calendar.png
Views:	801
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	12064 Click image for larger version

Name:	Book club WC.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	12065

You can still buy them.. Click image for larger version

Name:	Modern Mileskimball.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	12066

Comment

• RetroFlip
            RetroFlip commented
            Editing a comment
            Ah perfect, learned something new.

never knew it even existed, nice!

Comment

Recent ebay, a good example of the 228 imported by Ropat-Caslon. Caslon 801 Mini Alarm. I don't see this clock in the the US market regularly, so I wonder about the volume.

Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon801-a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.2 KB ID:	12121
            Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon801-c.jpg Views:	0 Size:	80.2 KB ID:	12123

Click image for larger version  Name:	caslon801-b.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.3 KB ID:	12122
            Seems like caslon numbering does overlap with copal models sometimes.

Ebay link:https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vtg-Caslon-...p2047675.l2557
            Last edited by RetroFlip; May 28, 2020, 11:44 AM. Reason: adding link to auction.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	mandico4900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	19.7 KB ID:	12207

Labeled:
              Mandico
              Model: 4900 Made in Singapore AC 240v 50hz 4w Single Phase.
              Seems like it might be missing wirlygig sticker and the alarm marker.
              Currently on Etsy, shipping from Greece.
              https://www.etsy.com/listing/7861395...35&frs=1&cns=1

Comment

Oh, I missed that yellow Ropat/Caslon clock, nice one! Interesting sticker on the whirligig, wonder if that is original or someone's personal touch?

Comment

Seller out of Spain, labeled Dator, with what looks like a Mazda logo. NOS.
                  Etsy Link

Name:	dator-nos.jpg
Views:	683
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	12816

Name:	dator-nos2.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	12817

Comment

Ooh, these are nice and tempting, especially since the seller apparently has larger quantities of them,but a bit steep for me, especially at the moment when I am not selling clocks and there is no funds coming in :-)

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                      Ooh, these are nice and tempting ...
                      Same here. These are the types of clocks that I'm liking these days. But I'm just not going to get any more for a while. Unless someone forces me. Or encourages me a little.
                      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
                      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
                      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
                      X