Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magnavox 1R1736

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magnavox 1R1736

I know these have been detailed before, but this one is an exceptional example as many these days are really beat up. The front exposed switches and really large, flat acrylic viewing window are always hammered.

A Magnavox from the 1970s future. Manufactured by Sanyo (speaker sourced from Foster Electronics, another electronics manuf. in Japan) in Japan in (possibly late 1969) 1970-1971. Not fun to pull the board from this model as it is very densely packed inside. The board itself is also very densely packed with components. Not powered by a Copal movement this uses a GTC (General Time Corp) motor, but the movement itself is probably Sanyo in-house. Some of these had Rhythm motors which copied some GTC designs. This entire motor/movement setup is also found in clocks/clock radios made by York (not Yorx), Ingraham, Edison and a handful of others. These clocks are notorious for buzzy transformers, but the problem is caused by loosened mounting screws for the transformer itself. Some will show delaminated plates in the transformer, but that can be fixed by a new coat of wood lacquer to quiet the plates.

This one was in rough shape and took a lot of work to get working again.
    Last edited by ; May 21, 2020, 11:10 AM.

How much work did you do polishing the window? Looks really good.

Comment

Thanks!

A LOT. And, there are still some super-fine micro scratches that you can only see in certain light. Not terribly worried about those.

Comment

that is about as space-age as you can get, perhaps if it were orange

Very cool clock, would look cool in any vintage interior!

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
          that is about as space-age as you can get, perhaps if it were orange

Very cool clock, would look cool in any vintage interior!
          Well, it's sort of related to the house aesthetic. We're mid-century/Danish modern here with all of our furniture. Not quite as groovy as the clock, but let's say our look is a close relative

Comment

Man, that turned out beautiful . I was actually looking at the model in the recent past. That was when I was doing a video about when people actually started calling flip clocks, flip clocks and I used that model as an example of a clock that had "digital clock" printed on it.

If you're selling these clocks, feel free to post the link!

Thanks for sharing this.
            ~ Mackey Site Administrator
            If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
            If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
              Man, that turned out beautiful . I was actually looking at the model in the recent past. That was when I was doing a video about when people actually started calling flip clocks, flip clocks and I used that model as an example of a clock that had "digital clock" printed on it.

If you're selling these clocks, feel free to post the link!

Thanks for sharing this.
              Thank you! One thing to note about the plastic of these Magnavox models...it seems to get blotchy as time passes. Nothing severe or super-noticeable. I have tried to polish them, but it doesn't seem to make much difference as the blotchy marks are in several layers of the plastic. Early plastic just didn't stand up to time as well as other, more modern versions. I wonder if it is actually UV damage like we see in the white plastic that turns brownish yellow from the bromides breaking down. I did salvage a red AM radio flip clock from Japan that was severely oxidized. It had similar "blotchiness". The peroxide treatment saved it and didn't scar the red in the plastic itself.

Another thing was someone before me had gotten rough on the mounting tabs of the acrylic viewscreen, especially the ones right at the curve at the edges. They had snapped them off! Probably getting rough when trying to remove it.

It's funny...I DID put it up for sale...then I see it and how funky it is...and take the sale down. I am so wishy-washy about some of these models! Keep...don't keep...keep...

Let me think about it and see what this weekend plants in my head.
              Last edited by ; May 22, 2020, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Hi, you mentioned these clocks use GTC or Rhythm motors. Are both of those similar to copal movements in that they can be serviced similarly? I am interested in one online but don't want to deal with a clock with a sealed motor. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X