Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

NOS Copal 226 Red and Blue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOS Copal 226 Red and Blue

Trying to go through some of my clocks and share...

These are two NOS copal 226, imported from Japan several years ago.
    I posted one of the manuals a while back: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...nese-flipclock

The Blue one has a original price of 2,700 yen and a external 50/60 switch on the back, the red has an internal switch(see other post above) and a suggested retail of 2,500. Blue has a white case and white cord, red has a light grey case and cord.

Click image for larger version

Name:	226-front.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	11998

Name:	226-back.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	11997

Name:	cord-tag.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	11994
    Cord tag on the Red 226
    Google translate:

How to set the time
    1. Simple method (Use this method in general.) While the power is on,
    turn the time adjustment dial to proceed for about 2 minutes from the current correct time.
    In the example, it will be displayed at 10:02 AM at 10:00:00 AM will be displayed at PM 10:00 at 9:58:30 PM

2. A more accurate method (how to match with the time signal) While energizing, turn the time adjustment dial,
    recommend for 2 to 3 minutes from the current time, then adjust, and at the moment when the minute number plate is changed,
    AC Unplug the cord from the power supply. When the time displayed on the clock and the time signal are the same,
    plug the AC cord into the power supply to get the correct time display.

Name:	store-label-226.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	11995

Retail price sticker
    Google translate:

Copal 226 Digital Clock
    Retailers when decorating your store, remove the price card on the left and attach it to the front,
    bottom left of the digital clock.

Name:	copal-226-manual.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	11996

Copal 226 manual (blue)
    Google translate:

Power supply frequency (Hertz) and switching lever ● Japan is divided into two regions of 50 and 60 Hertz. (Refer to the distribution map) Set the switching lever to the frequency of the area you use before using it. * Using a 60 hertz clock in the 50 hertz region will delay 10 minutes an hour. * Using a 50 hertz clock in the 60 hertz region will advance 12 minutes an hour.

● How to use ●
    Rotary display 1. How to set the time
    a. When the power cord is plugged into the outlet, the rotation indicator moves and the neon lamp lights up.
    b. Turn the time adjustment dial in the direction of the arrow to set the time. 11:00 am → 11.00 am. 11:00 PM → PM 11.00.
    Neon lamp Time adjustment dial Source: AC 100V, 50, 60 Hz With external switching Power consumption: 3W
    ● Performance will not be affected even when used on electrical products such as TVs and radios.

Caution
    1. Be sure to turn the time adjustment dial in the direction of the arrow. Reverse rotation may cause a malfunction.
    2. If the case becomes dirty, wash it with a mild soap solution. Do not use benzine or thinner.

Warranty Card Translation (not shown but one is in each box)

● Guarantee ●
    This warranty is valid under the following conditions only if the customer who purchased in Japan requests repair to us or our designated service center in Japan.
    1 If a natural failure occurs despite normal handling (based on the manual), we will repair it free of charge by presenting this warranty.
    However, this does not apply if the product is misused, if it is disassembled by a company other than our company or our service center, or if the cause of failure is natural disaster, fire, shock, etc.
    2 The warranty period is one year from the date of sale. The warranty cannot be applied unless the date of sale and the name of the store are listed. (3) If the repaired product does not include this warranty, you will be charged even under the conditions of (1). 4) Customers are responsible for the shipping costs. 5 Please do not reissue this warranty. Repair date

Power Frequency Distribution map Translation (small card with regions of Japan divided into 50 and 60Hz.

● Note before use This clock is an electric digital clock. The frequency is divided into 50Hz and 60Hz depending on the area of ​​use. Since it is currently set to 50Hz, if you are in the 60Hz area, please switch properly according to the "Switching the power frequency" in the instruction manual according to the "Power frequency distribution map".

Those are beautiful. Really nice. I had a couple of various colors that were custom gifts for company employees. They had messages imprinted on the back and a date. They were pretty cool.

The last one I had was a railroad company employee 5 year anniversary.

Comment

Very nice to get those unmarked NOS Copal 226's in those colours, that must be quite rare.

It's seems unusual to me that they don't have an alarm, I guess that's a choice as the number 226 seems to indicate that they're not an early flip clock.

I see that the instructions include some words on how to set the time.
      I guess we all eventually work the second method out for ourselves after wondering why after setting the minutes, flip clocks shortly after always seem to read a minute or so behind.
      Later when we've opened up a few and watched how the minutes drum moves when we adjust them we see why.

Thanks for taking the time to show them, they're very special.

Comment

Oh man. Those clocks belong in my collection. When you get tired of one or both let me know.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

• davidm
          davidm commented
          Editing a comment
          Originally posted by Mackey View Post
          Oh man. Those clocks belong in my collection.
          Oi, join the queue!

For the smaller non radio clocks, I really do like the Japan market copals and seikos. I think if I were to build an actual glass front display case, it would be for the small colorful ones like these.

Comment

Bummer about some of the Seiko and Citizen JDM clocks....SOME have the dreaded Sankyo movement. Easy to tell when you see the vertically split seconds flaps and green colored font.

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer View Post
            Bummer about some of the Seiko and Citizen JDM clocks....SOME have the dreaded Sankyo movement. Easy to tell when you see the vertically split seconds flaps and green colored font.
            Is that the rear mount one with the gear that disintegrates?

Comment

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post

Is that the rear mount one with the gear that disintegrates?
              Well, that's interesting as I have not seen disintegrated gears the ones I am talking about. I have mostly seen broken "tines" that hold the digits back. They are brittle plastic or a very low grade rubberized material. The main spindle gear coming from the motor was big and chunky on the examples I saw. Now, I wonder if there are variations in those movements with different failure events. (I think we went off topic from the main post of those beautiful NOS clocks!)

Comment

• RetroFlip
                RetroFlip commented
                Editing a comment
                Ok that makes sense, I've noticed broken tines on movements that split the minutes as you mentioned. I am likely thinking of a different one for the gear issue...

The broken times which hold back the flaps is relatively easy to repair, I have done loads of them by now and use regular business cards, cut them to size, attach them and then cut them to length (you can only do this when they are fixed/mounted), the last bit comes very precise since cutting it too short is not something you can turn back and too long, it will not flip

Comment

Oh, I said seconds...instead of minutes. MINUTES. Haha...

I have fixed the tines as flipclock_nl has and also with the clipped end of some nylon zip-ties.

Comment

Saw this on yahoo auctions Japan, thought it was an interesting way to add it to advertising without being too destructive to the clock. Looks like heat bent acrylic.

Name:	copl-brunswick.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	12103

Comment

• davidm
                    davidm commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm glad it wasn't my job to make that fit!
                Working...
                X