Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gensign, a re-badged CIFRA 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gensign, a re-badged CIFRA 5

Hello from the UK

I've just found this forum. I'd like to share with you a clock I've just bought. It's essentially a Solari Udine CIFRA 5, but it was supplied through a UK company called Gensign.

The mechanism runs on mains (240v); I know many of these were impulse-driven slave clocks.

It seems to work ok mechanically, but I've run into an interesting problem getting it connected.

The aperture on the back suggests a "figure 8" connector, but the fit was poor. When I measured the pin spacing, centre to centre, it's 7.90mm. The specification for figure 8, or more correctly, IEC C7, is 8.6mm. When I looked through my collection of assorted clock connectors, I found one that looked like it should fit, but the wider section shown in the picture prevents it from fitting into the recess.

Does anyone have an example of the correct connector for this type of clock, please ?

As an aside, there's a stamped mark that says 44/70; I assume this means a manufacturing date of week 44 (Oct-Nov) 1970 (?)

I was surprised to see the motor is marked "Midgley Harmer Ltd, London"; a company that ceased trading in 1973. Is it possible these were fitted in the UK I wonder ?

Thanks

Welcome, nice to see more 240 volters and 50 Hertzers

An appliance plug with 5/16" pin spacing should do the trick, this one was on Amazon.com

https://www.amazon.com/Univen-Applia.../dp/B0002KWBJ6

There should be something similar on Amazon.co.uk or ebay.co.uk

Click image for larger version

Name:	appliance plug.png
Views:	358
Size:	255.1 KB
ID:	11787

Comment

David, thank you. I simply didn't know these existed, it's a size we don't really see in the UK. I shall fire up my Amazon Prime account ;-)

Comment

• davidm
        davidm commented
        Editing a comment
        Mon plaisir, let us know how you go, interesting flip clock by the way, I've never figured out how those horizontal flippers worked without gravity assist!
        Last edited by davidm; May 2, 2020, 10:44 PM. Reason: French speakers will know!
    Working...
    X