Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unusual Plato Clock - need information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual Plato Clock - need information

Hi... I'm new. Based in the UK.

This was my parent's clock, which they received as a wedding gift from their best man. They married in 1960. I'm unsure how old it is. It does not work, but the wind up mechanism seems to be ok ..

On the date dial there is 2 patent numbers : Pat no 253485 - USA - Pat no1658649,

Just wondering if anyone can give me any information on it??

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20200201_155931.jpg Views:	3 Size:	287.0 KB ID:	10589

I like it and it sits on my sideboard, and I change the date daily.

Thanks

BJThomson Welcome to the forum first of all.
    You've got one very unusual Plato Clock there! I've never seen one like this and I've done quite a bit of research on these clocks. It makes me wonder if someone took a German made Plato and altered it. It's definitely a Plato clock and appears to be a Junhans type.
    Great Clock and I would imagine it would go for high dollar on eBay (400-600 or more US dollars).
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

• BJThomson
      BJThomson commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for that info. Much appreciated.

That's a very nice flip clock, I'd love to have a Plato.
    I think the patent numbers only refer to the perpetual calendar on the top because when I searched those numbers I just got pictures of desk calendars like this one:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Perpetual calendar.png Views:	0 Size:	222.9 KB ID:	10594

Comment

• BJThomson
      BJThomson commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, interesting ... I must try and get in touch with the gent who gave this to my late parents for their wedding to see if he knows anything more about it. He's lin ate 80s, so hopefully may able to assist

Originally posted by davidm View Post
    That's a very nice flip clock, I'd love to have a Plato.
    I think the patent numbers only refer to the perpetual calendar on the top because when I searched those numbers I just got pictures of desk calendars like this one:
    Thanks for looking that up davidm ... It's not going to have patent number for the American Plato clock because it's a German run. These are actually very old themselves, typically. That clock he has is a gem.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
    X