Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal RD-100 "Saehan"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal RD-100 "Saehan"

Just bought a Copal 'Saehan' RD-100 flip clock radio, A$30 seemed a fair asking price so I didn't haggle.

The case needs a clean but the paint, perspex and veneer are good, no scratches, the knobs are all there, the vol & tone pots need a squirt of electrical clean & lube.

Seems to run nice & quietly & flips ok, the alarm setting is all good, but the time set knob doesn't want to turn, so that needs checking out.

Wasn't particularly after a clock radio and bought it mainly for spare parts but now I'm thinking it would be nice to have a radio in the kitchen.

Only trouble is I'll have to put the RP-160 on top of it so I know what day of the week it is!

Will post pics after it's all fixed up, does anyone know how "Saehan" is pronounced?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copal RD-100 Saehan.png
Views:	698
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	10087

That's an interest clock/radio! Is it possible that the radio part is from Saehan and the clock part from Copal? Seems odd otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post
      does anyone know how "Saehan" is pronounced?
      Yes I do. Saehan is a Korean word and it is pronounced 새한
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Ok, ok .... 새한 or Saehan is pronounced "Say-han" (han like "han solo")
        새 or "Sae" can be translated as "New." 한 or "han" is more complex. It can mean a sadness, feeling of sadness or regret but with hope. It is context dependent, so perhaps the combination 새한 as a company name was meant to be expressed as a "New Hope" for the future.

Thanks for posting. It's interesting to see the combination.

~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thanks for the information Mackey, well I am feeling Saehan now, with feelings of sadness with this clock, but I have hope it can be fixed.

When I opened up the case there was a flip card inside on the bottom missing an ear, which was sad.

The numbers suddenly started to turn after I'd inverted the mechanism which gave me hope, but when I spun through the numbers I saw that there was a total of 2 flip cards missing, which was sad.

So I have one card with a missing ear which is the top half of 57 and on the reverse side is the bottom half of 58.

The missing card is the top half of 59 and the reverse is the botton of 00. Not counting the 'ears' the cards are 28mm wide x 13.8mm high x 0.4mm thick.

I will try to fix the 57/58 missing ear but need a 59/00 card. I'd prefer to fix this clock radio but could keep it for spares.

If anyone can spare the card (tile?) or cards I need I can recompense you by PayPal and shout you a beer next time you visit Tasmania.

Name:	Copal Saehan Int tiles.JPG
Views:	660
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	10166 Click image for larger version

Name:	Copal Saehan Int Rr Vw.JPG
Views:	648
Size:	370.7 KB
ID:	10167

Comment

I can very likely help you there, will need some measurements (in mm/cm please) though to be 100% sure.

It always sucks when you bought a flip clock only to discover that there are some tiles actually missing, usually a clear indication that the clock has been messed with before, less capable than you

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
              I can very likely help you there, will need some measurements (in mm/cm please) though to be 100% sure.
              Thanks mate, I don't have a spares clock yet and this Saehan is too good not to repair, the clock and radio still work well.

I'll be happy to buy the 2 number cards and cover the post & handling, I'll put my address in a private message.

I'm after the 57/58 card and the 59/00, without the hinge tabs the number cards are 28mm wide x 13.85mm high x 0.45mm thick.

Comment

Oh wow, didn't know these existed. Now I want one lol.

As for the flip tiles, I scavenge those from a complete junk and super common flip clock, like a Lloyds flip clock. If it's the same size, GREAT!

If the tab is too big, still great! You can take another tile off the Saehan and trace that tile over the parts tile and carefully cut to size. Then you paint the replacement tile all black and draw the missing tile number on with white marker to match the font as best you could.

Sounds like some redneck engineering, but it works. I have a Panasonic RC-6003 was missing a tile. The replacement tile works great and you cannot tell the difference unless you can touch the face with your nose lol

More on that lemon Panasonic I bought from eBay tho, I was so close to buying another one and parting the one I got. Thank God for perseverance & ingenuity!
                "Stupid is as Stupid Does"- Forrest Gump

Comment

Give me some time until this weekend, and I'll have a look :-)

Comment

Thanks, I've just found out that those number tiles, flaps, cards, are acually called leaves, just saw it on a Copal digital clock advert.

Comment

Does anyone know if the Sony TFM-C480W (Ghostbuster) has a Copal clock mech? I'm picking up one for parts on Sunday.

The clock's not working and the sleep knob's missing. If the clock's numbers match my Copal/Saehan I could use them.

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                      Give me some time until this weekend, and I'll have a look :-)
                      Thanks but don't go to any trouble at the weekend looking for those numbers, I may have the problem solved if the mechs are the same.

Comment

It turns out the number tiles in the Sony Ghostbuster are exactly the same size as in the Saehan and seeing as the Sony gearbox is shot I pillaged it for the two tiles.

There's a slight difference in the width of the font, I could take a black marker pen to it, but I'm happy that it's now complete, so moving on, job done.

Name:	Sopal Saehan 140120.JPG
Views:	614
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	10262

Comment

Have had that before indeed where the tile itself matched up perfectly, just the numbers were different. That was for one tile only so I did not bother to do anything else about it

Comment

The Copal Saehan is a nice clock, everything working A1 but having the speaker mounted underneath produces an uneven audio response.

It's because of frequency cancelation/addition due to the very close reflecting surface below, my newly acquired AWA cyclometer has the same issues.

I prefer the sound where the speaker is mounted on the cabinet front, top, or rear with top mounted giving the most room for a decent size speaker in most cases.

I'm looking forward to the postie delivering my new Realistic and Panasonic flip clock radios as they both have top mounted speakers.

The winner of the best SPL/freq response competition will win the new kitchen bench spot !

Comment

Working...
                            X