Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal RP-160

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal RP-160

Just bought a Copal RP-160 in white, said to be in good condition and working order, it's on it's way.

I've seen local sellers asking $45 for just the Copal motor + mechanism recently, I paid a tad more for the complete clock.

So now I have a Sopranos, a Mad Men, and I dunno what show the QP-214 featured in, maybe The Addams Family.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Copal RP 160.png Views:	0 Size:	155.2 KB ID:	10061 Click image for larger version  Name:	RP 160 downunder.png Views:	0 Size:	123.8 KB ID:	10062 Click image for larger version  Name:	RP 160 clean machine.png Views:	0 Size:	77.6 KB ID:	10063
    Not too much patina!

I like this one, I like the black front. I prefer this one over the clock which is completely in one colour!

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
      I like the black front
      Yes I agree, I wonder how many different colour combinations there were, I hope it's as good as the pics indicate.

Comment

According to this scan of an original Copal leaflet, even some colours which I have never seen before, but this could also be because they were never sold in spite of being in a leaflet...
        Post with 18 votes and 125 views. Tagged with The More You Know; Shared by mcfandrew. Copal Clock Sales Brochure

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post

Yes I agree, I wonder how many different colour combinations there were, I hope it's as good as the pics indicate.
          According to a copal brochure of the time, for cases white, red and woodgrain. I wonder if it's been given the front from a woodgrain.

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
            According to this scan of an original Copal leaflet,
            Thanks for the leaflet link, not sure if I've seen it elsewhere, so much new information means I've got to forget something now to fit that in.

Originally posted by RetroFlip View Post
            I wonder if it's been given the front from a woodgrain
            Could be or they've used the front off the RP-170 Click image for larger version

Name:	Yellow Copal RP-170.png
Views:	388
Size:	144.9 KB
ID:	10075

Comment

I like the look of this clock too. It's Jazzy.
              ~ Mackey Site Administrator
              If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
              If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
                It's Jazzy.
                Well I hope it doesn't need any repairs then, I could never figure out Jazz.

Have you seen any Rock n Roll flipclocks, don't mind if they're AC/DC

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post

Well I hope it doesn't need any repairs then, I could never figure out Jazz.

Have you seen any Rock n Roll flipclocks, don't mind if they're AC/DC
                  You're a mess. But seriously, Jazz is the only form of music that I can't stand to listen to.
                  But in a serious note ... Perhaps you could consider the "Back to the Future" flip clock a rock and roll flip clock. It did play Huey Lewis and the News in the movie.

Comment

I watched that movie again, is this the clock you mean?

Yes that Rock n Roll all right.... Click image for larger version  Name:	Back to the future clock.png Views:	0 Size:	642.3 KB ID:	10105 but not many for sale

Comment

There have been reproductions of that time machine clock made. The original would probably go for thousands, but probably doesn't exist anymore.
                      But anyway, I'm of course I'm referring to the Panasonic RC-6015.

Comment

Well the postie delivered my Copal RP-160 today, it was bubble wrapped then packed with a scrunched up Adelaide Times inside the box so I was chuffed about that as I enjoy crosswords.

Spun through the minutes, they were all there this time and plugged it in. Sounded like a bunch of hungry pigs waiting to be fed so cut the juice and disassembled with lump hammer and chisel as per the Mackey method .

I aimed the tube of my spray can of isopropyl alchohol through a rotor hole in the general direction of the axle and loosened it up. Then the main course was oil de jour 'Valvoline Handy' in moderation according to the Mackey manual.

My new laser tachometer had recently arrived so was duly aimed at a spot of reflective tape on the rotor and the speed measured at, wait for it, 333.3 RPM

So for all those who have been waiting with bated breath for the answer as to how fast a Copal 2 motor spins on 50Hz 240v the science has been done.

Click image for larger version  Name:	New Copal Rp-160 100120.JPG Views:	27 Size:	350.2 KB ID:	10223 Click image for larger version  Name:	Copal 2 motor speed.JPG Views:	23 Size:	337.0 KB ID:	10224
                        Last edited by davidm; February 1, 2020, 02:14 AM. Reason: Test edit, deleted last sentance.

Comment

That's actually not as much as I was expecting! Nice experiment!

Comment

In hindsight I can't recommend using that 'Valvoline Handy' oil for these motors, as after a couple of hours the motor got noisy again but quietened down after another spray of isopropyl alchohol.

So I think it was too thick to get into the bearing without being thinned down by the alchohol. I'll have to buy some alternative oil as suggested in other threads.

Given the accuracy rating of the tachometer, that RPM figure of 333.3 could be plus or minus 0.2 so the actual RPM could be anywhere between 333.1 and 333.5

Using the formula RPM = (f*60)/(n/2) where f = mains frequency and n = number of motor poles

333.3 = 3000/(n/2) which gives 18

So if that's correct & I'm no mathematician, these Copal II motors have 18 poles.

Anyhoo, she's polished and all back together now, job done.

Click image for larger version

Name:	RP-160 finished.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	225.1 KB
ID:	10230

Comment

Working...
                            X