Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 229 without plug!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 229 without plug!!!!

Hello, I am new forum, I have purchase a Copal Filps 229 from Etsy made in Japan with look like a wood vanish on body, it arrived from Weymouth in UK I was expect this is for UK, I opened it and see the socket plug is missing, So I contact the seller why did you sell me like this he said it was a two pin plug not like the UK have triple pin he chop it off so I can change from 2 pin into 3 pin plug. Reason I contact you on this forum I was not sure if this Flips clock would work with UK 240 volts and 50Hz? the label on back it said 160 to 260 volt and 50Hz should I risk try plug my house socket???

If this go ahead try with 3 pin how do I know which is Live and Neutral? also include 3amps or 5 amps fuse?

many thanks
    Fab.

Hi Fab,

That is a nice clock you bought, the 229 is one of my favourites!

When the label says 160/260v, do not worry, you can use it for the UK. All you need to do is buy a loose plug, strip the wire a bit and with the use of the a screwdriver you are ready to go within 5 minutes. There is no ground, so you can ignore that one and just connect one of the cables to one of the prongs and the other to the other one, that is all it takes. I would keep the fuse inside the plug, there is no reason to remove it.

Good luck and let me/us know if you have any more questions.

Regards,

Robert

Comment

Thanks Robert, I will do that later. Appreciate for help. ;-)

Comment

I'm looking at buying my second flip clock, a Copal 229 woodgrain in good cosmetic and working condition.
        Can anyone advise me as to what sort of prices these go for?

Comment

Doesn't matter, I guess most of you are in a different time zone and are asleep when I post, bought it today anyway.... Click image for larger version  Name:	Copal 229 eBay.png Views:	0 Size:	300.1 KB ID:	9828

Comment

It's the right votage & frequency for 'Stralia, love how they've spelt 'Type'
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Copal 229 voltage and ser number 031219.png
Views:	342
Size:	936.7 KB
ID:	9830

Comment

Nice price and clock!

Is it actually brown underneath? You should be able to see this when you open up the clock.

The woodgrain is a layer which sits on top of the actual color. By now, I have seen black and yellow as a base with the woodgrain over it, but this brown would be interesting to see.

I have already tried to remove the woodgrain from some parts clocks up until now in vain. I believe there should be a process which works, just have not found it yet :-)

Comment

flipoclock

Originally posted by ;n9858
                Is it actually brown underneath? You should be able to see this when you open up the clock.
                The plain brown is a paint layer over black plastic, inside the case is mostly black with some plain brown overspray that's come in through the holes.

On my 229 (it has the septagonal day wheel) the 'woodgrain' is lines of black paint over the brown paint, where it's been scratched the black paint has gone but the brown remains.

I'm still cleaning up the mechanism as someone had overlubed it and got oil on the cards which has stuck them together and stopped them from flipping properly!

​​​​​​​(I got those weird numbers again instead of your username when I quoted you, and in preview)

Comment

Originally posted by davidm View Post
                  It's the right votage & frequency for 'Stralia, love how they've spelt 'Type'

Name:	Copal 229 voltage and ser number 031219.png
Views:	342
Size:	936.7 KB
ID:	9830
                  Hello! Do you know how to read "74061 SI"? Is it contains production date? Is "74" - means 1974?
                  May be someone know the date this model was produced since.

Comment

• tonyofthelord
                    tonyofthelord commented
                    Editing a comment
                    yes January 6th 1974 SI is factory symbol.

Here is a recent post from me - the same clock with woodgrain that I stripped and have it black now. https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...ple-ebay-picks (2nd post)
                  Also the 74061 - I am not sure this is date code. Mine has 161868. How do you explain this?
                  I am almost positive it is not the date unless someone shows legit info.

Comment

Name:	225.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	229.6 KB
ID:	26564
                    serial numbers are always 6 digits, date stamp is always 5. this clock was made 2/06/74 it's simple backward. I know this from other youtubers who restore vintage gear.also I'm very old. check out all the copal 222 225 227 229s on ebay look at their photos of the labels

Comment

Ok now that makes some more sense because some clocks would have 5 digits and some 6, but mine would have either one and I am still learning the A and B of flip clocks. The 5 digit ones can make a time period and now that I look at it 5 digits are different script than the 6 digit. But another confusion here.
                      Found this Copal LG-713 on offer up with the same exact number as my and Mackey's 225 - #77113. Aren't those digital Copals later clocks?

Name:	Screenshot_20221029-152430.png
Views:	185
Size:	946.8 KB
ID:	26567 Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221029-152421.png
Views:	192
Size:	930.6 KB
ID:	26566
                      Attached Files

Comment

Working...