Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GPS Disciplined Flip-Clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Disciplined Flip-Clock

GPS Disciplined Oscillator (GPSDO) 50Hz for Flip-Clock

Have you ever been annoyed by the fact that the accuracy of your flip-clock highly depends on the stability of your power grid frequency. Unfortunately, this frequency can vary significantly during the day. If the frequency is above the nominal value the flip-clock will be ahead of the actual time. If the frequency is below, the flip-clock will be behind. Not all countries have to maintain the network frequency constant. In such countries, the time error will be accumulated, and the time displayed on your flip-clock will be incorrect.

Another annoying problem, if you move to a country with a different power grid frequency than your flip-clock requires, you can just say good-bye to your flip-clock.

I have developed a GPSDO 50 Hz for widely spread COPAL motors. It eliminates the dependence of the flip-clock on the grid frequency and increases its accuracy to the level of an atomic clock. How does it work?

The AC mains voltage is first converted to DC, which is then being converted to a stable frequency of 50Hz by an ATMega328P microcontroller. The frequency is disciplined by the microcontroller using GPS signals (1PPS + current time).

Based on this 50Hz GPSDO, I assembled my first GPS Disciplined Copal Flip-Clock. (see the photos) The GPS disciplined flip-clock has an LED Status Indicator, Start/Stop & Alarm ON/OFF switch.

The LED status indicator shows the operation mode:

Green. Disciplined mode. Stable GPS signal is being received and GPSDO frequency is being tightly kept at 50Hz. The flip-clock has the best accuracy, almost comparable to an atomic clock.

Red. Free running mode. If by any reason GPS signal is not present, the red LED lights up. In this case there is no frequency stabilization. The flip-clock continues to run, but it now fully relies on internal quartz accuracy only.

Blue. Compensation mode. When the GPS signal is back, the flip-clock time readings are compared to the GPS time. In case of a mismatch greater than 20ms the blue LED lights up. The frequency is then either reduced to 49Hz or increased to 51Hz. The compensation mode is active until the flip-clock time matches with the GPS time. As soon as this happens, the frequency is set back to 50Hz and the green LED turns on. The flip-clock goes back into disciplined mode.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7704.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	185.3 KB
ID:	26286 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7702.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	26287 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7696.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	26288 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7695.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	261.5 KB
ID:	26289

Originally posted by Engineer
    What country are you in that the mains frequency is THAT unstable?
    hi, thanks for the nice comment. I am from Switzerland.

Our 50Hz power grid is being constantly controlled by GPS. Nevertheless the grid frequency is not precise, but very accurate. Which means, in a long term our flip-clocks do not run away from the correct time (accurate). But in a short term the displayed time can be within +/-20 seconds (not precise!). This grid time deviation is constantly balanced out. If the time deviation is more than twenty seconds the grid frequency is corrected. In order to balance out the time deviation the grid frequency is changed as follows: 49.990 Hertz, if the grid time is running ahead of GPS time or 50.010 Hertz, if it's lagging behind.

Comment

This is high tech stuff here. It's really fascinating that you have done this for such and old-school technology. I think it's great.
      My battery flip clocks keep great time generally, and here in the US the grid frequency is pretty stable (although they no longer are required to perform time-corrections for frequency variations like in the past).
      Anyway, very impressive.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

• Mackey
        Mackey commented
        Editing a comment
        The only way I discipline my flip clocks is to wrap them up and put them in storage.

Very impressive project! Love it how you combined state of the art technology with an old school mechanical clock

The European net frequency is usually quite stable, but I do remember the 2018 event where the European net frequency had drifted 5 minutes behind what it should be: https://wwwhome.ewi.utwente.nl/~ptde...ains-2018.html

The (in)accuracy of flip clocks has always fascinated me. Although for clocks powered by a synchronous motor the long term accuracy is purely determined by the net frequency, the exact moment a minute drops is determined by the tile size and subject to wear, and thus never accurate to the second. But I'm probably not telling anything new to this audience...

Your post is hard to top, but I'm nevertheless going to try with this Atomic flip clock ;-)
      (scroll down for the flip clock)

Comment

Can you use this box to run 60 Hz 110V clocks in 50Hz 220 V land and vice versa ?
        Freq./voltage conversion would be a great feature for collectors to run their clocks from overseas..

Comment

Working...
        X