Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sankyo Digital 401

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

These motors usually run at either 1rpm or 3.6rpm, but there are different shapes out there. They might look the same, but it won't fit...

Don't have one here at the moment and usually do not buy these since the motors are very difficult to repair (it is possible, but requires very specific skills and parts).

Comment

Mine stopped recently after running a year (bought from thrift store). Seems like it jammed as makes struggling sound but kinda stuck. Any idea what to do? I am not that expert. If requires specific skill i am afraid, I will have discard it.

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman6 View Post
        I will have discard it.
        They are a beautiful clock, someone who has a working 401 would probably like to have it for parts if it cannot be repaired.

Comment

If you are looking to discard it, I might be interested depending on price and shipping...

There are 2 different versions of the motor which is inside, can you possibly take a photo of the inside and post it here? Specifically of the part where the motor sits.

Comment

Definitely do not discard it, sell it to someone who is able to fix it. It is very likely that the motor has to be opened and cleaned from the inside.
            SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	viber_image_2020-01-11_00-01-23k.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	231.1 KB
ID:	10236
              Attached Files

Comment

no good news here. sorry for a late reply all.
                opened the clock, took few photos. I was thinking somehow a pulley got stuck but thats not the case.
                I loosened the motor holding screws and made the motor shaft free from the ivory color pulley (pardon me dont know exactly what is it called but it is the ivory toothed thing that ultimately moves the seconds drum/numbers. in the video you can see I have encircled the shaft which i loosened from the ivory thing). All the digits drums (seconds, minutes, hours) move freely if i move them with fingers and they move each other in correspondence (seconds> minutes> hours).
                But the motor shaft does not move when i plug the clock in. makes a loud struggling sound as u can hear in video. however i fell in love further after opening the clock. so nice and interesting inside.
                will be in debt if someone in and around Toronto can help me to restore this.

Comment

Comment

I am not anywhere near you, nor do I have a replacement motor with the correct voltage, but there is not a lot of hope for this motor (not the clock) other than a costly refurbishment. You can try to lubricate it and see whether that does anything, it does not cost much and might bring you 'salvation'...

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
                      I am not anywhere near you, nor do I have a replacement motor with the correct voltage, but there is not a lot of hope for this motor (not the clock) other than a costly refurbishment. You can try to lubricate it and see whether that does anything, it does not cost much and might bring you 'salvation'...
                      So is it a motor failure? motor casing was completely sealed i guess. no way to open or lubricate, at least i didnt find a 'hole' to oil.

Comment

It is sealed, you can however try to lubricate it, success not guaranteed.

If you search for 'telechron motor' and 'lubricate', I think you will find some helpful links on google (or whatever search engine you use).

Good luck!

Comment

Greetings from Finland,

Just found myself another Sankyo clock today. Model 401E. Unfortunately the motor/rotor, or actually gears in the rotor, are worn beyond repairable.
                          Original rotor has marking 50 punched on the case so I think that's marking the european 50Hz system.

Any hints for a new "eurospec" rotor are welcome.

Comment

I have a 401. The backlight was replaced before I bought it but the series resistor was removed. Is there any information on the resistor that I can use to replace it?

Comment

Hi! I bought a Sanko 432 about 5 years ago, ran with noise up until about a month ago.

Before, it would stop once in a blue moon. I'd pull the motor our, put it in and off she would go.

Last week I grabbed a cork screw and used the tip to chip and pull off the resin around the motor seal. I held the gear and tapped the motor with a screwdriver until it was flush but stuck on the edge of the motor housing. Then with a very fine blade, I prised it between and slid it around carefully until the internals came out.

I flushed with a degreaser, oiled it with sewing machine oil, reassembled and used silicone to reseal the motor.

Runs like a dream now!

Comment

Whisper quiet now. Now I hunting for flip clocks!
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X