Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Introducing - The Cyclometers - The 'Other' Flip Clocks

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing - The Cyclometers - The 'Other' Flip Clocks

Between the famous flipping plate clock - the Plato Clock - and our beloved flip clocks, were - The Cyclometers!

While the Plato clock must be considered the grandfather of flip clocks, there was a significant period of time between when this clock with flipping pages (tiles, or "plates") came to being in the early 1900s,and the introduction of the modern flip clock (The Classic Solari Cifra 3). During this interim period reigned the "rotating drum" or "wheel clock", known as the cyclometer clocks! These clocks were huge in the 1930s and 1940s, but were produced right up until the take over by the "modern" flip clocks.

The famous Lawson Zephyr Clock

Lawson Clyclometer Clocks have a significant following - and are both beautiful, and quite expensive! Typically on eBay these days you'll mostly see Seth Thomas Speed Reads. They're not that expensive, but often have noisly little motors. I love my little Seth Thomas and think it's a riot that you have to jam your finger up inside the clock to adjust the wheels.

Check out this video to get a good view of the rotating wheel as it changes time and to view how to set these clocks.

This area of Flip Clock fans will be devoted to the enigmatic Cyclometer! Feel free to start new topics related to different models and restoration questions/ideas.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zephyr1.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	730Credits:
    Images of the Lawson Zephyr Used with permission from Retro Roxy Rhonda on Etsy.com
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

I though I was ate up with flip clocks. Check out the collection in the video below

~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
    X