Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sankyo 515

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sankyo 515

Latest addition to my collection of Sankyo clocks, a nice olive green Sankyo 515:

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030461.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	28222

Name:	P1030462.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	28220 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1030463.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	28221

It is a battery driven, powered by one D type battery. It has a what I call "self winding clock movement" where a small DC motor each minute winds the spring for a traditional escapement clock mechanism. That mechanism is hidden in the box on the right in the photo. I did not want to open it since it was working fine and had never been opened (screws still had their original seal). I expect it will be the same mechanism as in my Sankyo 535L.
    It has a 24 hour alarm while the clock itself shows 12 hours and has an am/pm indicator next to the hours.
    The numbers are lit by a incandescent bulb inside the drums when you press the "nite lite" button.

Name:	IMG_4821.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	28223

When I bought it was not working, but that was a relatively easy fix. One battery contact was broken, probably after damage from a leaking battery, and the earlier fix attempt by a bended strip of metal did not hold up. I fixed it again by using the spring from a battery holder that I had lying around. Usually I try to stay close to the original, but this coil spring just works better than the original blade spring and it was an easy fix.

Name:	IMG_4846.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	224.8 KB
ID:	28224

One word of warning: this thing is a ticker! For some reason it tick much louder than my 535L and on top of that every minute it "purrs" as the motor increments the numbers. Nice clock but not for the bedside
Working...
X