Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alarm On Sankyo 401

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarm On Sankyo 401

How does the alarm setting work? I get the lever in the back but no matter what I set the alarm wheel to, it doesn't go off at that marked time. Am I going about it wrong or is something off with the mechanism?

I take it that you pus the lever upwards to turn on the alarm? Perhaps a silly question but an important one nonetheless

When yes and still no sound, you will have to investigate the internals of the clock. The alarm itself has a fairly simple operation, but I do not recall having ever had any issues with the alarm on a Sankyo drumrollclock so cannot give you any pointers there.

Comment

The alarm mechanism is indeed fairly simple:
      When the alarm button is up and you turn the alarm wheel to the right time, you should hear/feel a click. This is caused by the wheel next to the alarm wheel dropping into matching slots in the neighbouring wheel. This movement then causes a lever to lower that was retaining a blade spring above the motor. This blade spring then starts to vibrate in the magnetic field of the motor. When vibrating the spring bangs against the motor and this produces the alarm sound. Crude, but it will wake you up (if it works).

Two things can go wrong here:
      1) the wheel does not fall into place and/or the levers do not move. Possibly caused by dried out lubrication or some mechanical failure.
      2) the spring is free to move but does not start vibrating. This may happen when the distance from the spring to the motor is not quite right. To fix this just bend the mount of the spring a tiny bit to move the spring further or closer to the motor.

I have added two photo's to give you an idea what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan de Jong View Post
        The alarm mechanism is indeed fairly simple:
        When the alarm button is up and you turn the alarm wheel to the right time, you should hear/feel a click. This is caused by the wheel next to the alarm wheel dropping into matching slots in the neighbouring wheel. This movement then causes a lever to lower that was retaining a blade spring above the motor. This blade spring then starts to vibrate in the magnetic field of the motor. When vibrating the spring bangs against the motor and this produces the alarm sound. Crude, but it will wake you up (if it works).

Two things can go wrong here:
        1) the wheel does not fall into place and/or the levers do not move. Possibly caused by dried out lubrication or some mechanical failure.
        2) the spring is free to move but does not start vibrating. This may happen when the distance from the spring to the motor is not quite right. To fix this just bend the mount of the spring a tiny bit to move the spring further or closer to the motor.

I have added two photo's to give you an idea what to expect.
        I already have it apart. I think the alignment is off or whatever you might call that. I'm highly mechanically inclined but horrible with terminology. It's like the alarm setting portion isn't synced with the time display portion.

Comment

It could be that that is indeed the issue, but would you not expect the alarm to then go off but at a different time?

Comment

Originally posted by flipoclock View Post
            It could be that that is indeed the issue, but would you not expect the alarm to then go off but at a different time?
            It does. The alarm does function. It just triggers 5 hours and twenty minutes late every time. Set it to 9 and it triggers at 2:20. Set it for 1 and it triggers at 6:20.

Comment

I figured out how it jumped time on the alarm portion. Click image for larger version

Name:	20221210_130724-01.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	26903

Comment

Oof, that's too bad.
                I wonder what could have caused it. Could it be that someone has attempted to turn the alarm wheel in the wrong direction? Normally there is a small lever with a spring that sits on teeth on the alarm wheel to prevent that.

Comment

Originally posted by Johan de Jong View Post
                  Oof, that's too bad.
                  I wonder what could have caused it. Could it be that someone has attempted to turn the alarm wheel in the wrong direction? Normally there is a small lever with a spring that sits on teeth on the alarm wheel to prevent that.
                  I should have it covered. I bought a different model of Sankyo alarm clock that's in rough shape and if it isn't too rough, I'll take the gear from that one to replace the chipped one.

Comment

Working...
                  X