Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Atomic DGU 400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Atomic DGU 400

A standard radio alarm clock in most aspects, this Atomic DGU 400, except it has the Sankyo fake LED roll clock mechanism that I really love! (Also, it was only 5 euro and at that bargain price I try any flip or roll clock )

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020823.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	23649

Name:	P1020824.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	194.7 KB
ID:	23650 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020828.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	237.4 KB
ID:	23653 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3265.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	23652

Name:	P1020819.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	350.4 KB
ID:	23651

The clock mechanism is basically a normal roll clock, but with a clever trick. It uses larger LED style numbers that are printed overlapping on the drum. A mask with 8 shaped cutouts at the front then picks out the relevant segments for each digit. The trick isn't perfect though, because where the segments of subsequent numbers cross conflicts can arise (is this a segment or background?). These conflicts show up as small gaps in some numbers. I really love to watch the "morphing" effect when the numbers change!

When I got the clock the motor was not running. This was the usual issue with the broken gear in the Intermatic motor that I solved as described in this post. Other than that two plastic posts needed repair, some switches needed contact cleaner and the whole clock needed a good clean (it was dirty!). Had a lot of fun cleaning every hole in the grill

Love it. That name too: "Atomic."
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Nice write-up! I think I actually might have one of these, discarded as a parts-clock on my pile of clocks. I should actually take a look at it to see whether it actually is salvageable.

Comment

I love these fake LED clocks. How clever!

A T O M I C
        lol

Comment

Working...
        X