Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Apollon Cyclometer Information?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Apollon Cyclometer Information?

I just acquired this Apollon cyclometer and am having difficulty finding any information about it.
    It looks to run off an D size battery. I don't have a D cell in the house, but will pick one up soon.

Do you know anything about this model?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6138.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	22127

I'm not familiar with the brand, it might be a promotional desk piece, so the Apollon could also be referring to the company that gave it away or used it as an internal gift for employees. Is there any labeling on the bottom?

Comment

That is what came to mind indeed... A company logo, which could be a company long gone, who knows.

Just looking at it from the front, the mechanism does not look familiar either. I do like the look of the clock!

Comment

If I had acquired just one clock I would have likely inspected it from every angle... but I acquired more like 30, which means that no single clock has gotten much attention. In inspecting all the side of the cube, I learned a bunch more. You can learn the same by simply looking at the pics.

Name:	IMG_6151.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	22140

Name:	IMG_6152.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	22141

Name:	IMG_6154.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	22142

Name:	IMG_6155.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	22143

Name:	IMG_6156.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	22144

Now I have more to google. Let me know if you happen to know anything about the maker off the top of your head.

Comment

And with the info on the various labels and a little searching, I finally have found a photo of the same model of clock. They claim it to be from the 1970's.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Willmore View Post
            If I had acquired just one clock I would have likely inspected it from every angle... but I acquired more like 30...
            Do you still have around 30 of these, and are you selling them on eBay or anywhere?

The most fascinating thing I see here is the fact that it runs off a battery. Is that correct? It appears to hold a single D cell battery, or perhaps 2 AA?

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_6010~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	22675
            Last edited by typogenerator; November 7, 2021, 10:59 AM. Reason: I realized that the wires and contacts in the photo could accommodate two AA batteries

Comment

Originally posted by typogenerator View Post

Do you still have around 30 of these, and are you selling them on eBay or anywhere?

The most fascinating thing I see here is the fact that it runs off a battery. Is that correct? It appears to hold a single D cell battery, or perhaps 2 AA?

Click image for larger version Name:	image_6010~2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.0 KB ID:	22675
              I only acquired a single one of that type of clock where it is in a clear box. Most of the other clocks were much older cyclometers from the 1930's and 40's. I still have most of them and will slowly sell the ones that are most valuable on eBay. I will likely keep the non-valuable clocks with a few exceptions.

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Willmore View Post

I only acquired a single one of that type of clock where it is in a clear box. Most of the other clocks were much older cyclometers from the 1930's and 40's. I still have most of them and will slowly sell the ones that are most valuable on eBay. I will likely keep the non-valuable clocks with a few exceptions.
                That's understandable. I'm loathe to part with ANY of my collection. In general, my collection is mid-century through 70s, with a balance of flippers and rollers, plus some WONDERFUL contemporary exceptions, eg Lumitimes.

From your photos it looks like the motor is entirely different from the AC motor. It actually looks just like the VERY familiar DC motor we use today, in all sorts of battery operated fans and vibrating items.

Can you tell us whether it runs off a single 1.5V battery like a D,C, or 2 AAA.*

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                X