Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alarm going off to early

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alarm going off to early

I have a General Electric flip clock model number 7-4310f. I’ve had it for a few months and I’ve noticed that the alarm goes off earlier and earlier. For example, it used to go off at 5:50 am if the alarm was set for 6:00 am but now it goes off at 5:40 am. I don’t really know much about these clocks so any advice/ help will be greatly appreciated!

These alarms are "electro-mechanically" controlled. What that means is there is physical movement of internal parts that result in a switch being thown that is responsible for the alarm sounding. It's really old-school technology. This is one of the big reasons vintage flip clock alarm /radios were easily replaced when electronic digital clocks came on the scene. In these, if you set the clock to go off at 6am ... by gosh, it goes off at 6am. As you know, in the flip clocks, well .... it will be around 6am or so when the alarm goes off.

I've seen other clocks where the alarm function was considerably off, but never one that started changing like you have described. I'd be interested in taking a look at it.

Adjusting the alarm will involve openning up the clock then almost for sure removing the alarm setting wheel on the left side of the clock (not the knob ... the actual wheel). This is done by removing a small "c-clip"
    Click image for larger version  Name:	c-clip.png Views:	0 Size:	5.8 KB ID:	9664
    then removing the wheel. Inside the wheel there will be a device (more parts) that move/ fall into place around the right time. The movement allows a metal arm to move to the left (when facing the clock) that sets off the alarm. The trick is to make sure that this happens at the right time. This is done by readjusting the position of one of the internal parts. It's definitely a job that needs to have a video along with it because it's hard to describe.

The first thing I'd do is try to figure out why this is fluctuating. It could be worn out parts. It could be that it was messed with and put back wrong ... who knows? I'd have to see it in operation, then take it apart to know. I have more than one of these in my parts closet and have worked on them before. The following is a image for reference that I borrowed from the web.

Click image for larger version  Name:	ge-4307f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	233.3 KB ID:	9665

I'm offering to take a look at this clock. See your private messages.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Yeah ... I broke out one of my GE 7-4310F parts clock ... there's no C-clip after all. It's just got a metal plate that has to be removed. It's funny but there's an unconnected spring onthe bar that is suppose to move to set the alarm off. Clearly it should be connected to the metal plate. Makes me wonder if that is what happened to the Clock we've been talking about. I'm supposed to get that clock soon to check it out.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_5800.jpg Views:	0 Size:	70.5 KB ID:	9697

Comment

I'm not 100% sure why this alarm was malfunctioning. But here's a video of how the alarm works in the GE-74310F.

Comment

The thing is, if you just knock the alarm setting wheel a little, just even by one click, it will change the alarm time. If you're going to use this to wake up, I'd recommend readjusting the alarm knob, especially if it's important that you get up on time!

Comment

Working...
          X