Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

National Panasonic RC-6035B restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

National Panasonic RC-6035B restoration

Hi guys:

On Saturday I found a National Panasonic RC-6035B and, since I'm a huge Groundhog day fan, I took it home (although later I figured out it's not exactly the same model). To my surprise, it was in a much better shape than I expected, but:
    1. Clock doesn't flip
    2. Both AM and FM radio volume is very low
    3. There's a humming noise coming from the radio when turned on
    As for pros:
    1. Sleep functionality seems to work, when I move the flip clock forward, the sleep timer goes down and when hitting zero, the radio turns off
    2. Light bulb for the clock works
    3. Radio, time and alarm tuners work
    4. Transformer and circuits seem to be in good shape
    Here are some pics:

I have knowledge of electronics and I'm willing to get my hands dirty to restore it, but I couldn't find the service manual to follow the schematics.

Regading the clock not flipping, I just found a video on how to lubricate it, I'm gonna try that, but regarding the two other problems, what could I do? My first guess is that the potentiometer is busted (low volume) and some out of value or busted capacitor/s is allowing transformer's ripple to come through, but I can't figure out where to being. Do you have any suggestions?

PS: When disassembling the clock, I found a loose coil around. Where does it belong to?

Thanks in advance.

I have restored one of these and don’t remember a spring like that. Is their any strings or pulleys in this one to move the tuner? I can’t remember. Is the cabinet white? I couldn’t tell with the lighting in the pics. The internals a very similar to the 6025,6030 from your pictures. It’s pretty simple to work on. Nice find! Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by Jumblejeff View Post
      I have restored one of these and don’t remember a spring like that. Is their any strings or pulleys in this one to move the tuner? I can’t remember.
      No, as far as I can tell, just the knob.
      Is the cabinet white? I couldn’t tell with the lighting in the pics.
      The cabinet is of a brownish yellow.
      The internals a very similar to the 6025,6030 from your pictures. It’s pretty simple to work on. Nice find! Good luck
      I'll check those threads to see if they needed these kind of repairs, thanks.

Comment

Hi guys:

Sorry it took me so long to publish an update, but not until yesterday did I manage to find some time to work on my flip clock. After lubricating both the AM - FM switch and the volume potentiometer, the radio came back to life and it works just fine. As for the clock not flipping, I remove the motor's case and noticed the motor's wheel wouldn't spin until I gave a push. I lubricated the axle with clock oil and left the motor running for an hour or so, but when I unplugged the clock, it wouldn't start spinning until after a push. I left the clock running all night to see if it stayed on time (it did), did the same test as yesterday, so I unplugged it and plugged it back and today the motor started running by itself, so I guess it look a long time for the oil to work its way through. The only problem (now that the clock is running) is that the alarm doesn't seem to work. What can I check?

Comment

When doing some googling on my alarm not working, found this video and it explains how the alarm works, so I understood where the loose spring I found when opnening the flip clock came from, put it back where it belongs and the alarm started working when I figured that out. I thought this clock had never been opened, but, when checking it out yesterday, noticed that the wire where the spring goes to is sloppily glued and the spring comes off pretty easily.

In the video I found, the other end where the spring goes to is missing, and I found another video showing the repair of a RC-6035, but in this video I can notice that the spring goes to a paper clip.

Does anyone know how the spring was originally attached?

Comment

Originally posted by _Teto_ View Post

Does anyone know how the spring was originally attached?
            Well, for the time being, I bent the wire that was already on the case of my RC-6035 to the right so that the spring wouldn't come out as easily as it did, the alarm is working flawlessly.

Comment

I was looking for the Service Manual for a National Panasonic RC-6035B. Thanks!

Comment

Here you go: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Technics-Pa...oAAOSwX~hehhRu

Click image for larger version

Name:	RC 6035 Service manual.jpg
Views:	639
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	12561

They come up from time to time, if you dont want this one just save a search on eBay for an email notification when another one's for sale.

Comment

Thanks.

Comment

A question, what color is the dial light, blue or green ....? Thanks.

Comment

The spring (ALARM) is attached to the white plastic piece, it is not broken, it is placed underneath. That adaptation was not necessary...?
                      Last edited by henrypal; July 29, 2020, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X