Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GE 7-4305C bulb replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE 7-4305C bulb replacement

I need to replace the neon indicator light in a GE 7-4305C. I just got some NE-2H bulbs from eBay with a single 100k ohm resistor on one side. I assume I have to cut off the old bulb and resistors and use the new one. The old bulb has smaller resistors on both sides. This one has a larger resistor on one side. How do you know which side to put the resistor on? Does it even matter with AC current? It technically doesn't have positive and negative sides.

You got it right. It doesn't matter. When I did this I just removed the old stuff and put in the new. It should work fine. Let us know how it goes!
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

OK, thanks! I should receive the radio soon. I ordered the bulbs knowing I would need them, and they arrived first. Just one more question. When I cut off the old bulb and resistors, will I need to join a piece of wire in there to make it long enough? If so, what kind should I use? I can get lamp cord at the local hardware store rated for 120V. Would that be too thick?

Comment

You probably won't need any wire. But no. Don't use lamp cord. Much too large. Just any decent what they call "hook up wire" of about 20-24 gauge. That's not a very thick wire. I know you might think that the wire has to carry a lot of current, but it doesn't. You'll see when you open up the clock. I'd wait until you get the clock before you get the wire.

Comment

OK. I watched a video you made fixing one of these clocks, I think you used 24 gauge solid copper wire. I have something similar I scrapped from an old fluorescent ballast. If I need some I'll use that. I'll let you know what happens when I get the clock!

Comment

I use stranded wire, but solid would work. Interested to hear how it goes.

Comment

Working...
            X