Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal tuning fork clock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal tuning fork clock

Images attached!

I owned one of these (I believe a yellow one) years and years ago and because that one was working perfectly, I never bothered to look inside.

This one, I (unfortunately) bought as a working specimen... It did work, for several hours and after that, I can only get it to start and stop after max 2 to 3 seconds :-(

When I first came across this clock, I thought that it had something to do with playing music, but since then, I have learned... These clocks are actually quite sophisticated as far as the technology behind it goes.

Attached a link where you can find more info on them, also someone who suggests a method of repairing them and also has a suggestion of why they break down.

Is there anyone on this forum with some kind of experience with these clocks? I would love to be able to fix it, but opening up the casing of the motor already looks like a possible horror-story to me :-) Replacing a capacitor is something I will be able to do, once I have located the correct culprit and have sourced a correct replacement for it.

Would love to hear your thoughts!
    Attached Files
    I have one of these but its very erratic for the movement to turn, Fork does vibrate and the drive transistor is saturating, I also gave the mech a...

Thanks for that link. I have a Tuning Fork Copal (model T-7) but thankfully mine is running fine. Would really love to hear how this turns out for you.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

I have no other option than to attempt this repair, because at the moment, it is very pretty to look at, but non-working clocks are in abundance here ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by flipclock_nl View Post
        I have no other option than to attempt this repair, because at the moment, it is very pretty to look at, but non-working clocks are in abundance here ;-)
        Interesting to see inside one of these, never owned one myself. Hopefully the repair attempt goes well for you; I have a stack of "project" clocks as well...

Comment

Recently I had some spare time on my hands and once again looked at this clock. I took some different tries to start it up and get it running and don't exactly know what I did, but I got it running again!

Alas, for a couple of days anyway, then it just stopped and now I'm back at square one :-( I did manage to open up the motor in any case so might be looking at replacing some electrical components, ideally the entire motor, but where to find a replacement...

Comment

Finally gotten round to 'unweld' the electric capacitor which might be the main reason why my clock stopped working properly.

Had to unweld it to be able to see what specs it has. I ordered a couple of them as to also have some stock and as soon as they arrive, I will weld one in and see what's changed :-)

Comment

Sooooo, finally got round to replacing the electric capacitor... no luck :-( It still starts, then stops after about 3 seconds.

There are 2 more electrical components which might be at fault and would be low cost to replace. I'm having some trouble identifying one of them, picture attached. Would anyone know the correct name for this?

Comment

That would be a tantalum capacitor flipclock_nl with a value of 0.033uF.

In my opinion this probably won't be the culprit. These rarely fail. If you have replaced all the electrolytic caps then look at/test your semiconductors. Might even be a bad solder joint.

Comment

Thanks for the insights! Not sure about the solder joints since it worked for almost 2 days in a row when I got it. Will look at the other caps and conductors and replace them, testing I have no idea how to proceed :-)

I have another tuning fork clock (french flip clock) which also shows the same behaviour, will replace the cap there first and see whether I'm more successful.

Comment

Transistors are basically tested like two diodes. There are tutorials on YouTube on how to do it. Pretty easy process.

Comment

Hopefully it doesn't have a damaged tooth on the tuning fork wheel.

Comment

Will check that tooth later this week!

I have another tuning fork (flip) clock, a French one which also needs some repairs.

It works very erratically, sometimes for a couple of hours, sometimes for a day, sometimes a bit longer, but never longer than 2, max 3 days.

I have replaced the capacitor, I have tested the resistor, both do what they should do. The only part which might be at fault is the voltage regulator. Is this actually a part which you can test?

I'll take a picture of the clock and the innerworks later this week.

Comment

Ok, an update..... I resoldered all the joints, I did not really remove all the soldering and soldered them again, I sort of 'touched them up'. Funnily enough the clock worked for about 3 days straight after that.
                          I have to be honest, the clock was not hooked up to the flip clock mechanism. When I hooked it up, I cannot get it to work for more than a few minutes.

Would this possibly have to do with the voltage regulator? It is not getting enough power to drive the flip mechanism or is my mind going crazy?

Comment

Good update flipclock_nl.

I have a theory, as I don't own a tuning fork clock it is only a theory on what might be going on here.

Your report back seems to indicate to me that the fault presents once the motor is paired with the readout mechanism. The motor unit in your report seems to run happily without a load, ie when not driving the flip card display.

This indicates to me the possibility of excessive drag/friction somewhere within the clock.

Here's what I would do,

Investigate the motor gearbox. Is/was it lubricated? If it was or is, strip down the gearbox, clean down all the gears and re lubricate all the gears with a light plastic friendly lubricant such as clock oil. Don't use too much.

Move your attention to the flip card mechanism. Lubricate the flip card spool wheels at the main metal axle prior to refitting the motor. Add a couple of drops at each location where the drums contact the axle. Then advance the mechanism by hand using the setting knob to work in the lubricant. Again don't use too much.

Check that the flip card retaining pins are not angled back too far as to create excessive drag on the cards.

Then reassemble the clock (with a new battery) and see how it goes.

I think your nearly there with it.

Comment

Thank you very much for your input, it is much appreciated! It does seem that all separate components are working on their own, which indicates that in theory it should not be that hard to get them to work together.

The mechanism for flipping the clock goes very easy/lightly by hand, but nonetheless I will disassemble, lubricate and re-assemble.

However, this will be a project for the long run... I have more pressing jobs and easy jobs which are to come first. Also I currently do not have the space to keep a clock well stored in parts for longer time.

Will post an update when it is there!

Comment

Working...
                              X