Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony 8FC-25

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony 8FC-25

I purchased this Sony 8FC-25 as it's been on my want list for a while. I love the simplicity of it design-wise and feature-wise. No frills, just your clock, alarm, and AM radio. Before I purchased it, I messaged the seller and asked if all functions and clock lights were working. The seller said yes. The clock landed on my doorstep a few days later and I noticed it came in a rather large box. The box was almost open as the tape had separated from the cardboard. Upon opening the box, I found a few pieces of scrunched-up paper, a smaller box, and the clock wrapped in bubble wrap. The seller had put another box inside to occupy some of the room instead of using a smaller box. This clock radio is one of Sony's smallest offerings so they really could have got away with a smaller box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6375.jpg Views:	5 Size:	346.5 KB ID:	29837Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6378.jpg Views:	5 Size:	302.3 KB ID:	29838Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6374.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	29849
    Upon initial inspection, the clock looked dirty but otherwise in good nick. I plugged it in and found the volume to be scratchy and the clock to not be spinning. The seller had told me the clock was fully functional.

I unplugged the clock and got down to some initial cleaning and disassembly. I was even more pleased with the simplicity of the clock as all it took was 4 screws to open the clock and 2 screws to get the clock mechanism free. While I was taking off the knob, I realized the outer alarm knob was cracked and broken. This also wasn't advertised in the listing but I would assume the seller didn't notice it as the knob was still functional and the broken part couldn't be seen unless it was removed. Bummed, I was fortunate to find the missing piece inside the clock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6380.jpg Views:	6 Size:	289.8 KB ID:	29839

Another great design of the clock was how the clock face comes apart in two pieces from the body. This makes it super easy to clean and polish the plastic face. I wish more clocks were like this!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6384.jpg Views:	5 Size:	346.8 KB ID:	29842

After lots of cleaning, I tackled the motor which was frozen. I combined some electronic cleaner with clock oil and got it spinning. One thing I've noticed it that an electronic contact cleaner is really good for freeing up a stuck motor. Even better than clock oil. Sometimes, if I just oil the motor and don't use spray cleaner, the motor won't spin on its own when unplugged and plugged back in. Strange. I also watched Mackey's video when he had one of these and noticed that the alarm bulb is different from mine. I was worried that if the bulb were burnt out, it'd be hard to find a replacement. But, this one looks like a grain of wheat bulb vs the larger one in Mackey's old clock.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6385.jpg Views:	5 Size:	134.8 KB ID:	29840

After epoxying and reinforcing the alarm knob, I was able to put it all back together. I'm very happy with the results of the clock. It's so stinking cute!

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6389.jpg Views:	5 Size:	155.8 KB ID:	29843 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_6395.jpg Views:	5 Size:	150.6 KB ID:	29844
    ​​

Love the illuminated radio and alarm dials.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by VintageEcollector; 4 weeks ago.

Great looking small clock! Sony was always good at putting a lot in a small package. Sometimes they push too far and make it really hard to take it apart. Glad to hear this one is easy to work one.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Just realized I mis-modeled this clock! I did it last time too with another Sony clock. Grr. This is an 8RC-25.

Comment

Thanks for the review of the clock. Very nicely done.
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Very nice clock, and awesome repair job!

Comment

Working...
          X