Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for information on how to rewind a motor coil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for information on how to rewind a motor coil

Hi, I'm considering to rewind a motor coil to be able to run it on another voltage.
    But I have no experience with doing that, so I'm looking for help or advice how to do it (or not to if that is the best advice )

The clock that I want to convert is a Tamura Lumitime that is currently setup for 110V/60Hz. As I live in Europe I would like to convert it to 230V/50Hz.
    To convert it I would need to:
    - replace all resistors and neon bulbs (some are broken, so I better replace all),
    - replace a gear in the motor to adjust it for 50Hz,
    - replace or rewind the coil to convert to 230V.
    The first two I think I can manage, but the last one I have no experience with.

The motor is made by Nikko. I have seen the same motor in some other clocks, but all are pretty rare, so chances on finding a donor clock look dim.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4722.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	203.3 KB
ID:	29810 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4724.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	419.2 KB
ID:	29811

Any help or tips are much appreciated
    Thanks!

Johan, I have never done this, but I have read a lot of posts on FAN, Radio etc transformers and motors changing from 110 to 220V
    You will need a wire spool and transformer winding "machine" https://ussolid.com/u-s-solid-manual...Ws8XR_2zeHMZkE (can be found on AliExpress). Buying all these parts, plus experimenting will take a lot of time and effort, how about just getting an analog stepdown transformer? From 220V to 110V https://a.co/d/4a9yoFT
    At least till you find a proper way how to rewound and do a calculation.

Aram.

Comment

Thanks Aram!

That tool winder looks like a helpful tool. I also found them on AliExpress and the prices are low but the shipping cost spoils the fun. I have also seen video's of homebuilt versions and that might be a cheap solution and good enough for the one or few times I would use it. I see what I can do.
      I'm a bit worried about how well it will work with the wire size I will need. The wire for 110V is already very thin and the one for 230 will only be thinner. This will probably be very fragile.

I did consider a step down transformer, or even a frequency converter, but I would rather like to do the recoiling as I find it an interesting hobby project. Finding a solution and doing the work is part of the fun for me

Regards, Johan

Comment

Working...
      X