Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GE 7-4305 Refurbishing Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GE 7-4305 Refurbishing Questions

Hi! I'm new to the board and the world of flip clocks. I recently got my hands on a GE 7-4305 and have a few questions regarding refurbishing and using it.

1. Is it possible to separate the main board? It seems the plastics are melted together and prevents disassembly (see photo below). I've tried using force to separate them but I don't want to apply too much that I might break it. My intention is to clean it up, maybe replace the FM/AM switch and the caps.

2. Is replacing the capacitors necessary for long term use? I don't read much about replacing caps in flip clocks.

3. Is a frequency converter necessary? It's too costly and would rather not buy one. I'm worried the frequency might be a little off for the flip clock to keep accurate time. I live in the Philippines and have to use a step down transformer at minimum in order to use this.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6821.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	214.9 KB
ID:	29781

Hello and welcome,

I can only answer part of your questions:

1. No idea how to get this separated. With care I would say And make pictures beforehand, so that in case the string comes loose you know how to put it back together.

2. Capacitors are only used for the radio. They are the most likely components to fail in the lifetime of such a radio. You can replace them before issues arise, or wait until that happens.

3. The clock has a synchronous motor and its speed is solely determined by the mains frequency. In the Philippines that is 60Hz, so if your clock is designed to work on 50Hz you will need a frequency converter. You will need a pretty good one to be accurate enough, and yes: these are costly. Most people recommend the ones by Ken's Clock clinic: https://www.kccscientific.com
    Alternatively you could replace the motor, or actually only the sealed canister since that contains the gears that are specific for the frequency. As these Telechron motors are not made anymore you will need to find a donor clock. These motors were not only used in flip clocks but also in analog electric clocks of the era which you can often find cheaply in thrift stores or online.

Good luck with the restoration!
    Regards, Johan

Comment

Working...
    X