Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal T-5 motor stops after 10-12 minutes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal T-5 motor stops after 10-12 minutes

Hello, folks. New here, new to flip clocks. I recently acquired a Copal T-5. The guy who sold it to me said it works, and he may have had reasonably good reason to think so. It keeps accurate time for 10-12 minutes before the motor stops. I took it to a local clock/watch repair shop that has favorable reviews online to ask what I might possibly do to get it back in working order, and the guy there took a cursory glance at it from the other side of the counter and said that the entire unit would have to be replaced and since they don't make them anymore, I'm out of luck. From what I've read here and elsewhere about flip clocks, that sounds pretty pessimistic.

My question is this: Might this motor that runs for a pretty consistent increment before just stopping simply need a good cleaning and lubricating? I'm guessing that would be the first step, but defer to you good people for advice what other issues there might be.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4956-2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	29544

It can be serviced, what you may have is bad electronics. I'd bet replacing the capacitors on the movement should get it going again and have it keeping accurate time. Some lubrication is the first thing I'd try, I use clock oil available on eBay, I think Mackey uses SpeedX.

I'll be posting shortly about a clock with a similar mechanism that I revived. Does it still hum when it stops keeping time?

Comment

Originally posted by cyb3rbyte View Post
      It can be serviced, what you may have is bad electronics. I'd bet replacing the capacitors on the movement should get it going again and have it keeping accurate time. Some lubrication is the first thing I'd try, I use clock oil available on eBay, I think Mackey uses SpeedX.

I'll be posting shortly about a clock with a similar mechanism that I revived. Does it still hum when it stops keeping time?
      Thank you for your reply. I'll get some clock oil and give it a try. I never checked on the hum after it stops keeping time, but will do so and get back to it here. Thank you again!

Comment

Working...
      X