Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic RC-6015 Gearbox Knocking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic RC-6015 Gearbox Knocking

Howdy flip clock fans!

My treasured Panasonic RC-6015 has been making a repeating knocking noise that I can't seem to diagnose. I've managed to grind away the rivets that hold the motor to the gearbox, completely disassembled and lubricated the motor, and greased the gearbox with white lithium grease.

I've ran the motor without the gearbox attached and it's completely silent, but with the gearbox I'm getting a constant, repeating knocking noise. I can't seem to figure out what it is but it changes if I turn the clock sideways.

Any ideas? Thank you!

First, Pull off the alarm and clock set knobs and run the clock. Let me know if this changes anything. If not it may be the alarm set mechanism itself. It's a plastic on plastic situation and it may need to be lubed.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
      First, Pull off the alarm and clock set knobs and run the clock. Let me know if this changes anything. If not it may be the alarm set mechanism itself. It's a plastic on plastic situation and it may need to be lubed.
      Hi Mackey! Tried it but it didn't change anything. Here's a video:

(You may need to crank up your volume)

Any other ideas?

Comment

Oh wow. So it makes that sound even when it's not attached to the clock?
        ~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post
          Oh wow. So it makes that sound even when it's not attached to the clock?
          Yep, this is with the knobs removed. If it helps you diagnose at all, I just discovered the sound goes away if I hold the clock sideways, with the left side facing down, right side facing up (motor on top) for a few seconds, the sound is gone even after I put it down. It must be that something is rubbing. I'll try to keep experimenting with it.

Comment

Working...
          X