Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kundo 2000 SL disassembling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kundo 2000 SL disassembling

Hello, i am a new member from Kiel Germany with experiance in repairing old Radioclocks like the Nordmende 170A.

Now I need some tips on opening the housing of a Kundo 2000 SL Alarmclock Anyone out there who can describe the mechanism? There are three black buttons on the bottom. Should these be removed first or do you simply have to use gentle force to widen the gap between the housing halves?

Regards Tim

Hello Tim and welcome to this forum!

First remove the three screws at the bottom. Then you should be able to separate the housing halves at the lower end. At the top the two case halves are held together by a few lips. These are very fragile, so be careful with that.

Here's a picture to give you an idea what to expect:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4340.jpg Views:	0 Size:	315.4 KB ID:	29075

If the issue you have is that the motor runs but the clock isn't (common issue with these clocks), then this post may be helpful: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...do-gear-repair (although I would do a few things different now, so let me know if this is the case)

Good luck!
    Johan

Comment

Hello Johan, thanks for the hints.
      Under the three black caps I found the screws at the bottom.

Pic2: Plastic Tool to wide the gap between the to Parts of the housing.

Pic3: one wire of the bulb was broken. Looks like there was a resistor included .
      I found some Parts of it with Brown Green Yellow and Silver stripes.

Pic6-7: Todays Work Done. After desoldering the wires and unmounting the elektronic ( Great Tip from Johan) I was able to seperate the motor and gearsection very easy. Motor has about 5 kohms. Think the Motor should be ok.

Main Probleme ist the brown gear, it’s teethless and brakes in More Parts just by looking . Next Task is finding a sparepart of this type.
      so very simular Problem as descriped in Johan‘s post.

Comment

Great work Tim!

For the gear you could go ahead like I described in my post, but with a few differences:
        - I would no longer recommend Gorilla plastic to create the "connecting neck". It is too difficult to work with at this small scale. Instead I would create a spacer from some scrap plastic or tubing or whatever you can find, and glue that to the two gears.
        - Alternatively you could consider to order the gears from kkpmo.com. This is a bit costlier than the links in the post but the quality is better. And hopefully you will not need to do crazy hammering to increase the size of the gear. Also if you order the small gear thick enough (you can in the custom gear section), then you do not need to have to build a connecting neck.

But, as mentioned in my post, I do still have some of the Chinese/Czech gears. If you would like a set I can send it to you. Just send me a personal message.

The light bulb is clearly gone. These neon bulbs can live for an incredible long time, but in the end they slowly turn black. Luckily you can still buy them, for example from Conrad or TME. Make sure you also replace a resistor with a new one as specified for the new neon bulb!
        (I think I have these in stock as well, so I could include a bulb and a resistor with the gears if you like)

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	383B1ED5-17B5-42E1-B19D-80D35DE55739.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	29105
          Thanks again for your kind answer Johan.
          After checking the motor is working, as seen on the foto, i would try to fix the gearing the Chinese/czech way. I will send you a private note. In the meantime I want to do some cleaning steps. Any cleaningtips for the discolouration of the housing would also be very helpfull. A Short trying with isopropyl acohol was sucessful, maybe there ist a better way. Regards Tim

Comment

The work is done, the kundo clock is running again. I used a vise to squeeze the small gear. the washer just served as a guide.

Name:	0F1C19C0-4B7B-4FD8-8787-67C31736F0E2.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	29292

Name:	EB32FBB1-8B33-49D5-84D2-1224A529E88E.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	29289

Name:	CEAD13CD-7C36-432E-9250-D3AA4BC25B7F.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	29293

Both gears were glued on a 2mm drill at the desired distance. I used two-component glue. Before the glue gets completly hardened, I unscrewed the gears from the Drill. The result is quiet nice and the clock is working again.

Name:	73C90CC0-03B4-46E2-86CD-690B2AB7A874.jpg
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	29288

a few things needs to be done. The yellowed housing will be treated with hair bleaching. Hopefully the clock looks bright white again After the Procedure.

Name:	55C47C74-9609-4C3E-A415-0678FD2D46F1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	29294

Name:	24FF3CE4-D315-42B6-8A02-829EA09F5F9E.jpg
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	29290

Since this is done best in summer, this project will be paused for a while. In the meantime, I'm dedicating myself to a Nordmende radio alarm clock. The clock and the lightning is working again but the FM Section of the radio needs some fixing.
            Regards Tim

Name:	76CC8B34-F0C8-4E83-B26C-DF188A163C55.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	29295

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tim, glad you got it working!
              Using the two-component glue is a good idea and probably easier to work with than the Gorilla plastic. I'll try that next time.
              Also looking forward to learn more about that Nordmende. Looks like a Sankyo mechanism.

Comment

Hi John, the repair with the 2Component glue is easy, but the thrilled moment was to find the exact time to unscrew the gears before the glue hardened completly.

maybe it‘s time for an extra Thread dedicated to the Nordmende RadioClock 170 / VarioClock from the early 70th.
                you mention Right , it’s a Sankyo mechanism powered by an Intermac synchomotor.

Click image for larger version  Name:	9855BB28-61E4-455B-9484-18B02A996AE7.jpg Views:	2 Size:	28.3 KB ID:	29302
                Last edited by timmsel; December 17, 2023, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X