Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 101 needs 70s power cord

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 101 needs 70s power cord

Two weeks ago I wasn't into flip clocks, but then I found a black Copal 101 in a pile of rubble at my parents house. Needless to say, it got me hooked. I also found a white 228 in desperate need of some TLC on the internet. It is on it's way. I would also like to own a 201, 401 and 225. How many do I need to acquire before you can call it a collection?

I am currently in the process of restoring the 101. It is in pretty good nick. It has never been opened before and the Neon bulb is still pretty clear. After a good clean and oil it is running well (and the Copal logo is still intact). The power cord however needs to be replaced. I would like to keep it as close to original as possible, but I can't find one that looks like the original.

In the picture below you can see the original cable and a possible replacement. The original looks like speaker cable with a crimped on europlug. That is the look I want. Does anyone know where I might be able to buy these cables with plug? If these are not available anymore, I would rather have a cable that looks like that, but with a screw-on plug. The screw-on plugs are available at the local hardware store, but the cables that look like the original are all speaker cables which are not rated for these voltages. Does anyone know where to get 230V rated speaker cable? Is there a name for that? Something to google for?​

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	1090
Size:	914.0 KB
ID:	28488

I don't know if this helps, but I used to buy something called "lamp cord" at the hardware store. So perhaps request it by that name? It was intended to be used to replace the power cord to lamps. Funny though, I mainly used it as speaker cable because that was a common thing to do. But by all means, if you buy any sort of "cord/cable", make sure it is designed to handle "mains" (or what we call "line" in the US) power.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/25-ft-16-2-...p-Cord/3128545

Comment

Originally posted by gschmidt958 View Post
      I don't know if this helps, but I used to buy something called "lamp cord" at the hardware store. So perhaps request it by that name? It was intended to be used to replace the power cord to lamps. Funny though, I mainly used it as speaker cable because that was a common thing to do. But by all means, if you buy any sort of "cord/cable", make sure it is designed to handle "mains" (or what we call "line" in the US) power.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/25-ft-16-2-...p-Cord/3128545
      I know exactly what you mean by that. That used to be a thing and we have a word for that as well, but googling just results in false positives. I found a few shops for lighting which still sell these cords, but they tend to be maximum 48 volts. Possibly these are the still the same cords and standards have changed. Good thinking though.

Comment

Here is what I learned today:
        • The cable that I see on most Copal clocks is called a twin cable. (like mine, see picture)
        • If you google for twin cables, you will mostly find non-twin cables.
        • The twin cables that you do find are mostly speaker cables, which are not rated for mains voltage.
        • To find the correct cable you need to google for A03VH-H or H03VH-H.
          • A/H -> nationally recognized / harmonized
          • 03 -> rated for 300V
          • V -> PVC
          • H -> twin cable !
          • H -> extra fine strands

Comment

Did you see the link I posted above? "Lamp cord" is still available at "big box" hardware stores in the US.

Comment

Did you see the link I posted above? "Lamp cord" is still available at "big box" hardware stores in the US.
            That lamp cord is the correct one to use and the one I would by if I lived in the US, but no one sells lamp cords anymore in my part of Europe. I checked both dutch and german hardware stores as well as online lamp stores and the common online marketplaces. Searching for lamp cords, or `lampensnoer` as we say, just does not get you a mains rated twin cable.

Comment

The reason why these cables are so hard to get in the European Union is that since January 2002 they are not allowed anymore for new installations, because they are not double insulated.

Comment

I hadn't realized that, thanks for the clarifications.

Knowing that, I think your best option might be to find or buy a broken or used lamp/radio with a similar cord and salvage it from that. Surely, I would think it would be possible to find in private sales, either local or online marketplaces.

Comment

I hadn't realized that, thanks for the clarifications.

Knowing that, I think your best option might be to find or buy a broken or used lamp/radio with a similar cord and salvage it from that. Surely, I would think it would be possible to find in private sales, either local or online marketplaces.
                  That is not necessary, because like I said, I have found (and bought) lamp cord. It is just that, if you live in the European Union or in the United Kingdom, you have to search for A03VH or H03VH to find it. Also know that officially these cords are not allowed anymore. Personally I will use these lamp cords only for vintage repairs. If I need to replace the power cord of my electric toothbrush, I will use a double insulated cord.

Comment

Thanks, that is good info about where to get these cords!
                    I also live in the Netherlands and have bought a few times used cords with plugs from a "Kringloopwinkel" (thrift store). And I also have used screw on euro plugs that I could buy online. They look too modern but are ate least more practical than the round ones that don't fit in any modern socket.

Comment

Maybe I should visit a thrift store, but buying an appliance just for it's power cords just feels wrong to me.

In the meantime, if anyone knows a source for nice looking europlugs to buy, let us know. I just bought these Bachmann plugs, to replace an original plug that doesn't fit in any of my sockets. The plug is of very good quality, but the "white" plug turned out to be slightly purple.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	63
Size:	521.8 KB
ID:	28539

Comment

Originally posted by flipje View Post
                        buying an appliance just for it's power cords just feels wrong to me
                        I fully agree! The thrift store I visited (in St. Michielsgestel) sold just the cords as parts. I guess they cut them off from appliances they had to throw away.

The Bachmann plugs I have used as well until now. Just did a quick search and found some at AliExpress that look a bit better to my opinion: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3284...yAdapt=glo2nld

Comment

Working...
                        X