Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Slightly misaligned tuning handle and how to extend AM band reception?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slightly misaligned tuning handle and how to extend AM band reception?

Hi there,

About the Panasonic RC-7469 I have, the radio tuning handle appears be misaligned by a tiny bit. Not a major issue, rather a minor detail.
    The picture says it all: the handle is always "above" the tuned station. Pictured is where I get clear sound for 600KHz AM, but it is misaligned on the FM band as well. Having dismantled a few, mechanically tuned radios very long ago, I vaguely remember there is a shaft on the tuner knob on which a cotton cord is tightly wound, winding again on the tuner dial (if round), or just moving the handle directly (sliding-type).

Since both FM and AM dials are misaligned by the same angle and that the tuner knob is has no built-in maximum and minimum (free-turning), then the cord linking everything together bust have slipped around the shaft of the tuning variable capacitor.

Given how tight everything must be for proper tuning, I wouldn't trust myself to re-wind the tuning cord from scratch, especially not on a 50 year old device.

What is the right way to correct the misalignment? Off the top of my head, I was thinking maybe there's a way to hold the variable capacitor shaft in place while letting the tuning cord "slide" around it? I didn't find detailed pictures of the inner parts of the clock, let alone a service manual.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3017.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	451.0 KB
ID:	28448

As a related question while fumbling around the tuning circuits: how would it be possible for this radio to pick up AM stations in the 1600 to 1710KHz range? Adding a switch to toggle between "normal" and "extended band"?
Working...
X