Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gear Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gear Repair

I found this "how to" video on gear repair and thought it might be of interest to this forum. He used super glue and graphite, some in the comments were advocating epoxy instead of superglue.

Here's another one, possibly even better...

Comment

That is very interesting Greg!
      It will be more difficult to apply at the smaller gears that we see in clocks, but in principle it could work.

I once applied a similar technique using Blue Stuff for the mould and Gorilla Plastic for the insert. Both are thermoplastics that become soft when heated. When cold the blue stuff is kind of rubbery and suitable to use as mould, The Gorilla plastic becomes solid and quite strong, bit like nylon.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020805.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	28372 Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020806.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	28373

An advantage of both is that the process is fully reversible, so if you make a mistake it can be easily corrected.
      A drawback is that it is difficult to work with in small quantities since it then cools down too quickly and become sturdier before you had a chance to fill in the details.

I think super glue and graphite (or maybe baking powder like we use for tile repair) might work better to fill in the details in small gears.

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Oh wow, that's interesting that you were able to get such good results with a fine toothed gear! When a few teeth are missing, I wonder if it's possible to fabricate an entire gear by making a complete mold with the "good" teeth of an existing gear (maybe a 2 part process and would involve rotating the gear for each half. No doubt this process would be tricky for clock gears.
        Last edited by gschmidt958; July 6, 2023, 09:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X