Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flip clock not going

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flip clock not going

Helo fellow Flip Clock Fans, I have recently acquired a flip clock radio combination at a flea market. When I got the radio clock it worked but had an issue: the hour pages were one page out of sync and when the hour changed it would be the first hour page that would flip and only after about 12 minutes the second hour page would flip. My wife managed to fix the problem but now the clock only works for a few minutes before stopping. What could be the issue? I really like this radio clock

The model is a no-name brand Manta RD-500

Click image for larger version

Name:	A466572A-EA2F-422C-8E6E-F305548FB176.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	28129

Seems to be something with this mechanism, one of the cogs slips off or something.
    Attached Files

Comment

The golden and black wheels here disengage after a few flips.

Is there anything that can be done with it
      Attached Files

Comment

Hi. Are you able to determine the cause of why the two gears aren't engaged? Is it that one of the shafts is moving apart, or is the black gear just worn out (or something else)?

Comment

It doesn’t look worn out on the outside, the teeth of it seem completely fine. Not sure what the issue could even be, after being on for like 2-3 minutes it stops, tries to spin it further but isn’t able to. The motor is still going and there’s a click every minute.

Comment

• gschmidt958
            gschmidt958 commented
            Editing a comment
            So everthing is tight, the motor just stops, and nothing continues to move?

So this is the problem: There is the golden wheel which spins with the motor, both the motor and this wheel work completely fine, but the black wheel, the one that switches the actual pages of the clock, only works for a few minutes, after which it disengages from the golden wheel and doesn’t spin anymore, it just becomes loose. There is no obvious damage on it, it looks fine, no chipping, no nothing. There is another mechanism connected to the knob used to manually adjust the clock, spinning the knob makes the black wheel catch on to the golden one again but then it disengages again after just a few flips.

I guess the issue is just the 2 cogs losing connection but I have no idea how something like that could be fixed

Comment

Working...
          X