Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tamura Lumitime CC-11 "Stuck"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tamura Lumitime CC-11 "Stuck"

I'm grateful to find this group. My grandfather when I was a child had a 1976 Tamura Lumitime CC-11 that I was magically in love with. (That starburst? C'mon!) Unsurprisingly later in life, nostalgia set in, and I bought one. I've owned it happily for many years.

In July, I moved to the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, and during the move (I actually saw it happen) the clock was dropped. It fell about 4 feet onto a hardwood floor, and when I plugged it in immediately thereafter, it ran fine again and I assumed that there was no problem... But only a couple of minutes passed and it got "stuck." It has been stuck on the same hour and minute since, I can hear the motor running on the inside and an intermittent (probably every second) kind of brushing bump. The starburst is not turning, and the clock does not advance. Turning the time set knob spins and spins, but does not change the minute display. (All of the bulbs do appear lit.) The time set knob is difficult to turn, though it does turn. Changing the hour and minute of the alarm, unsurprisingly, had no effect, nor does pressing the alarm snooze button or shaking it or lightly tapping it.

I am worried at this point that I'm going to have to open up this extraordinarily complex piece of machinery.

Before I do so, I want to solicit any advice for things I may try before I do so, and if I do have to do so, does anybody have any idea what I may find and what may be the culprit?

I realize this is awfully open-ended, for which I do apologize, but I figured it might be worth asking experienced experts, even if there is no answer forthcoming.

Cheers!

Keith from Front Royal, Virginia

Hello Keith and welcome to this forum!

That is a very nice and special clock you got there! It is a pity that it got damaged. I wish I could help you but I'm afraid I can't help much. I just got my first Tamura Lumitime that I still need to restore and roughly know how it works. From what you describe it sounds like something mechanical got broken or dislodged inside, but I do not yet have a clue yet what that could be. If I was nearby I could take a look but I live in the Netherlands so that is not really an option. If you can open it up (just the case) and share some pictures, maybe we can work it out remotely.

Regards, Johan

Comment

This video might help also, although the CC-11 is different and more complicated because of the alarm mechanism:

Comment

Working...
      X