Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lloyd's JJ-6277 Multiplex Stereo but no radio sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lloyd's JJ-6277 Multiplex Stereo but no radio sound

Good Afternoon,
    I picked this real nice Lloyd's flip clock. Got the Copal working using the usual synthetic oil and a little cleaning. BUT (yes, always a but), the radio is not working. I thought it might need a little Deoxit on the sliders (nope). No matter where I put the volume slider there is a slight waterfall hiss sound coming out of both speakers. The sound intensity does not increase or decrease with slider position. I have looked closely at all the caps etc. but do not have any electrical knowledge. This flip clock works just fine but no radio. Can anyone lead me in the right direction to fix this great Lloyd's?

So I think the first thing is to decide if you are willing to put the time and effor into fixing the clock radio. Quite obviously there is a lot more things going on in the raido unlike the clock movement.

All that being said assuming you want to move forward is making sure you have at least the basic tools. Mainly a multimeter for measuring voltages, resistances and possibly transistors. You very likely will not be able to repair the raido without one. The other tool would be a soldering iron. You will very likely need to remove components from the raido circuit board to test or replace them. Other methods of soldering would work, I just soldered an Arduino with a larger solding gun, but a simple soldering iron, preferably temperature controlled is your best bet.

Moving on to actually troubleshooting the radio. The very first this is going to be to carefully inspect every component on the circuit board for damage. Sometimes if something has failed on the board it's quite noticable and is a easy way to start finding the problems. Not all problems will sadly be visual. Nor will a visible problem always be the root cause

Going beyond the inspection it's going to be very useful to obtain a circuit diagram of the radio. I took a look through all the sites I could to find one and sadly no publicly available one exits for free. Someone here may have one but I don't know that it's likely. There is a Sam's photofact for that radio and it would be your best bet. It's available a few places on line as a pdf. However there seems to be two versions of that radio with different photofact sheets, make sure you get the right one. If you don't want to pay all the money for the digital copy, they come up on eaby in paper form typically for much less $. I believe the reference is folder 1529, item number 4 for one of the two photofact sets for that radio.

Beyond that there's going to be just a lot of probing and inspecting with the multimeter. If I were to widly speculate what's wrong, I'd be a failed transistor or two in the radio, perhaps in the amplifier stage at a minimum.

Anyways best of luck.

Comment

• Swim_Dad
      Swim_Dad commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the reply. I have everything you mentioned (multimeter, soldering iron, etc.) I looked for hours at the caps, resistors, and transistors but did not see anything that obviously failed. That’s as far as my knowledge goes. I even looked at the underside for a bad solder joint on the board. In the end some luck person bought it off the bay. Hopefully they will get it to make sound again beyond the alarm buzz.
Working...
X