Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Schematic for Panasonic RC 6030

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schematic for Panasonic RC 6030

Hello everone....

I recently picked up a Panasonic RC 6030. As usual, the radio didn't work and the light was blown out. I replaced the bulb, got the radio to work again and did a general cleaning. For a 50 year old clock, its quite impressive in the build quality and even its performance. For the most part the radio works well. It actually sounds better than i would have thought. I wasn't considering do anymore work on it, but when I went through its functions, I discovered that the alarm buzzer sounds more like an AC hum than a buzzer, so I'm assuming the caps could use some help. Instead of buckshot-ing the repair, would anyone know where I can get a schematic for the radio? I can't seem to find anything online about it. If not, would anyone know what section of the circuit board handles the buzzer alarm? I didn't really look at the circuit design. I'm sure its something simple.

Thanks

Bernie

Hi Bernie,

I don’t have a circuit diagram for that clock, but the sound your hearing in alarm mode sounds normal. It should sound sort of like a low fog horn. That’s the best I can describe it. I have had several of that model and they all sound that way.

The RC-6030 is easy to work on. Changing the caps is always a good idea on these old radios.

Comment

That's exactly what it sounds like! To me, it's like the sound a tube radio makes when the filter caps are dried up and the AC ripple is getting through the B+. Its not a sound I expected. My initial thought with the radio was that the caps, since they look almost new, would be okay. But then I found out the radio is actually from the early 70s, so I was starting to question their age. I was kind of on the fence with it. Definitely, anything at least until 1960 unless its a ceramic cap, I would replace. But these caps look really modern for their age.

One of the other reasons I wanted to get a schematic is to see how the circuit is designed. I'm not sure if the motor is DC (I didn't check it with a meter, I only opened it to clean it and the contacts and replace the bulb and where the power supply section of the board is located. If I took my time with it, I can figure it out, but would prefer to see it on paper first. That leads me to question another thing. I replaced the bulb and its working fine. But even with the radio off, I'm smelling the plastic, either from the heat of the transformer (which is why I'm questioning the caps in the power supply) and I'm also questioning the heat of the bulb and possibly the motor. I know a little transformer going from 110 to 15v shouldn't be that hot, there's not enough current running through the radio. So I'm thinking some of those caps have turned to resistors. Any suggestions on which ones to start with? And without opening the clock again, would you have a parts lists for the components you recommend replacing?

Comment

Working...
      X