Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Panasonic RC-1282 Motor Spins, Doesn't Flip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Panasonic RC-1282 Motor Spins, Doesn't Flip

Hi, I have a panasonic flip clock which I got at a thrift store about 6-7 years ago. Since I was in a small town at the time I was able to get this great working clock for $10. I used it since then, until it stopped working about 2 years ago. Not thinking, in all that time I actually left it plugged in until today, when I decided I should try and fix the clock. So I did some research and figured the motor needed to be lubed and I took the clock apart. I found that the motor spins fine. I took the motor off to see if there were any stripped gears. What I found is that the two gears that the main motor shaft touches are also a brass colored metal. All of their teeth are intact. And if I reinstall the motor and turn the time adjustment knob backwards slightly, I see it engages the shaft of the motor and turns it. I did this because I also read about other models where there was too much lateral play on gear shafts allowing the gears to miss each other. This isn't the case and everything is engaging smoothly.

So, I'm wondering what else can be the problem, when the motor is working and the gears are not damaged / aligned correctly? What would prevent the time from flipping?

Pic of the clock is from online since mine is already apart.
    Attached Files

I should also say I did not open the metal disc thing attached to the motor which I assume could be some kind of differential, because it doesn't seem obvious how to open it. It has dabs of glue on it making me wonder if it can be taken apart and reassembled. However this may be where there could be plastic gears that are broken? Based on my reading on here about other models.

Comment

You are correct, this metal disc needs to be removed in order to have a view of and access to the gearbox. Sometimes there is a(n oiling) screw in the middle on top, that needs to be removed and then you will need to (very carefully) cut through the remainders of the glue and carefully pry it loose. Once you have that done, spin the flywheel by hand and see if you see any gears move, most likely not. When that is the case, it is usually the very 1st plastic gear that has worn out, sometimes it is the last plastic gear that has a tear in the shaft, making the gear move but not the shaft which holds the brass(?) gear on the outside, the one that connects to the motor.

Comment

I will try and take it apart carefully, there is a screw in the center as described, with a dab of glue over it. I did pry at the housing a bit and was able to feel the glue around the perimeter separating.

Comment

Working...
        X