Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoration of The Panasonic RC-6493 - Replacing the lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoration of The Panasonic RC-6493 - Replacing the lights

Finally, after much work, I've completed the restoration of the Panasonic RC-6493.
    This was a fairly difficult clock to repair. The video below goes into some detail about the process and is recommended for anyone considering trying to replace the lights.
    One thing I did not mention in the video, is the over engineering of this clock. I learned that the wires to the lights is mil-spec high temperature, silver plated copper strand 24 awg wire. The pvc tub covering is rated to over 220 degrees F. I would recommend anyone replacing the lights with an original type light retain this wire (it's expensive stuff) and take the time to solder in the light to the existing wire.

Hope the video helps someone.
    ~ Mackey Site Administrator
    If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
    If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Currently, there is this clock on sale here in Prague on an auction site for 490 Czech crowns (about 18 € / 19 $), 630 Czech crowns with postage (about 23 € / 25 $) [+ the added cost of me getting a 50 Hz 220V to 60 Hz 110V converter - the price depends on how many Watts I would like..].

I seriously think of getting it, even though the whole setup will be a bit expensive. The seller doesn't know whether it's functional or not (because of the voltage). I see from your videos it is very well made and I like the green glow and the fact that it has a calendar and wooden sides. Would go well with my 1970s hi-fi setup. Are the replacement lamps expensive?
    SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Originally posted by Matthew View Post
      Currently, there is this clock on sale here in Prague on an auction site for 490 Czech crowns (about 18 € / 19 $), 630 Czech crowns with postage (about 23 € / 25 $) [+ the added cost of me getting a 50 Hz 220V to 60 Hz 110V converter - the price depends on how many Watts I would like..].

I seriously think of getting it, even though the whole setup will be a bit expensive. The seller doesn't know whether it's functional or not (because of the voltage). I see from your videos it is very well made and I like the green glow and the fact that it has a calendar and wooden sides. Would go well with my 1970s hi-fi setup. Are the replacement lamps expensive?

Well, ... not for me. I got lucky and bought a lot of surplus new old stock lights and they're the same as the original.
      If and when you get the clock let me know. I can ship you some if you pay for postage.

Comment

• Robert Brooks
        Robert Brooks commented
        Editing a comment
        So I picked this one at a thrift store for $ 4.99. Looks just like the one on your video. Thanks for the video by the way.
        Do you still have any of those bulbs? The one behind the radio is the only one that works. All four others including the red one are out. I already replaced the motor (a pain in the butt).I don't know where to get bulbs and I would rather replace them now while the thing is apart.

Guess what. I got the 6493.

IT IS H U G E !

Good lord! The thing is a piece of furniture!
      It has all the knobs and looks okay from the outside, but the top knobs are loose - the whole circuit board at the top seems to be floating about. I'll see when I open it.
      I'll post the pictures soon, but this flip clock will have to wait a bit. I have other things on my table right now in addition to the opened Sony TC-134SD cassette deck waiting for a general clean-up, lubrication and new belts. Also, I will need a converter that changes not only the voltage but also the frequency, otherwise the clock will run slow.

I am expecting the worst, hoping for the best.
      Last edited by Matthew; December 2, 2015, 04:29 PM.
      SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

I forgot to add, I have posted the pictures here: http://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/f...lock-in-europe
        SAVE THE FLIPCLOCKS!

Comment

Well, that is indeed some bigass unit!
          Lucky you that you could get it😊
          Like the calendar version...the mechanism looks to me, let me say, very interesting

when I lived in the state's for two years at the grow up age of 3 years, my parents had some 110 volt systems what we brought back with us to the Netherlands... My Dad got matchbox sized adapters that brought the volts -230v/50herz down to 110v/60hertz... These adapters went in between the socket terminal in the wall an the apparatus plug...as easy as that.
          Now, this was way back in the early 80's... There must be similar systems available in this day and age...

Comment

Thank you for your videos. I just finished fixing one of these for a friend. I couldn't find the exact neon bulbs but I managed by wrapping the new neons in heat shrink with a cut out slit and with a little piece of green plastic film. It worked great. You are right about taking one of these apart and putting it back together. It is not easy but it is worth it. I had the extra fun of putting a bunch of the number flaps back in place.
            ​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by Mackey View Post

Well, ... not for me. I got lucky and bought a lot of surplus new old stock lights and they're the same as the original.
              If and when you get the clock let me know. I can ship you some if you pay for postage.
              Mackey, I sent you a personal message awhile ago, perhaps you did not see it? If you still have some available, I would like to buy some of the lights.... Could you possibly send me a message? Thanks!

Comment

Old thread, but thank you Mackey for your videos and all the knowledge on this forum. I found one of these in the goodwill outlet today. cosmetically it looks very good, radio works, but I believe the motor is seized like many flip clocks I pick up. it is a huge, beautiful clock and one of the only ones I have with the flip calendar. Can't wait to get it restored.

Comment

Let us know how it turns out.

Comment

Working...
                  X