Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 702 stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 702 stopped working

my faithful copal 702 just stopped working. i took it apart and the motor seemed seized so i added some oil and it started turning.

the motor now spins but the "seconds" wheel seems to get stuck. when i spin the motor by hand the seconds wheel turns but gets stuck near the 5 second mark and the tile doesn't flip.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 10.48.15 AM.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	27401

having some trouble getting the 2 sides separated. i'm not sure if i'm supposed to remove the cover for the "I-23" part or take off the spinning motor part.
    i can see the brown glue that goes around the cover but i don't see any clips or screws.
    do i loosen the glue with a heat gun or utility knife?
    thanks.

Name:	B Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 2.23.43 PM.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	273.8 KB
ID:	27405 Click image for larger version

Name:	A Screen Shot 2023-01-25 at 2.23.32 PM.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	336.0 KB
ID:	27404

Comment

You will need to remove the 'I-23' cover, that is the gearbox cover. It is held in place by the 'glue' and the one small screw. Pls remove as much as glue as possible from around the screw as well, you will have hard time removing it if you don't. When you have the cover off, you will be able to ascertain the level of damage or what is going on at all. Most likely indeed it needs a new gear. I do have these if you need one, they are brand new gears, built together from 2 separate gears, one really small one and one larger one.

Let us know how you get on and good luck!

Comment

unfortunately i'm unable to separate the pieces to get at the gears.
        it looks like 3 small triangle bits. i do have some but none fit.
        any idea on how i should proceed from here?

Comment

They are pressed together so (unfortunately) only moderate force will be able to separate them. We all have our own ways of doing it since these were originally not designed to be repaired, only replaced. I use some small pliers and grabe the top plate whilst holding the motor (not the flywheel!) and wiggle a bit whilst also pressing up until it very gently pops off, when that happens, it is on to the next. Try to make sure that you do not bend the plate too much or at the very least when that does happen, you try to flatten it again before you eventually will push it back again. In my experience, you can do this procedure a couple of times before the metal plate will not latch on to the 3 posts anymore. You will be able to see what is going on without taking apart the gearbox though. Can you see whether the first plastic gear is spinning when you turn the flywheel? If you need a replacement gear for that, I can sort that for you.

Comment

ok, i was able to get it apart. i tried needle nosed pliers and a mini pry bar but the tips bent the metal plate a bit. then i used regular lineman's pliers and it worked easily.
            i can't really tell which gear may be the problem one though. they fell out during the separation.​

Name:	D Screen Shot 2023-02-12 at 9.08.38 AM.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	315.4 KB
ID:	27570

Comment

the one on the left indeed is the 1st one and it looks as it is expected to look (in this case anyway), in need of replacement.

Comment

Working...
              X