Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sony TFM-770W motor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sony TFM-770W motor

Hi all, recently I bought a Song TFM-770W clock/radio from a garage sale for $10. It wasn’t working at all at first but I opened it up and got the radio working, but the clock still isn’t working. After looking at it further the OMRON motor in the clock isn’t working properly. It is getting power (multimeter) and I can feel it trying to turn, but it will only make 1-2 rotations after I help it start to move. When I kill the power and force it to turn, there’s like a clicking/grinding sound as it turns. I tried giving it some WD-40 like I saw in some threads, but it didn’t change much and there’s almost nowhere to get the oil inside. Anyone know how to fix it, or where I can get a replacement?

Congrats on your buy, it is a lovely clock! However, the motor that Sony decided to put in it is sh*t, there's no other word for it. Eventually they all die and there is not really any way of fixing them. You could try to open it up, take out the gearbox, clean it, lubricate it and put it back, make sure it is sealed or at least stays put together and try to see whether that helped, that's basically the only thing you can do or try...

Comment

Funny this just came up. Someone on YouTube asked me to do a video on the C660. So I bought one. I spent hours messing around with this motor and eventually cut my thumb pretty bad when trying to get into the motor case. I had tried every thing including flushing out the motor. It started running but then jammed up - I actually heard it. Finally I tore the thing open and to my surprise there were NO stripped gears. Maybe the holes the gear arbors fit in wear?? Don't know but the thing jammed up with a kind of crunch.
      I thought about coming here and looking for threads about the motors - I thought I remember you guys talking about them.

I was about ready to quit my hobby after cutting myself. Right after this I had to go cut up a tree that had fallen. I told my wife I was going out the and probably coming back without a hand or leg.

In any event - I probably will do a video about it. But that's the last time I buy a clock just to make a video.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Originally posted by Engineer
        Mackey, so sorry you cut yourself. Seems normal when working on some of this gear, I guess. I cut myself all the time, usually scrapes on the back of my fingers.

Yeah, very rare to find one that runs OR runs quietly. These have clock movements that are like many typical cyclotron or roller clock movements, but larger. Terribly complicated if they bind or are out of synch. The crunch could have been something binding in the movement itself. Which motor did the C660 have in it?
        The C660 had the can motor. No the mech didn't seize .. it was inside the motor.

Thanks though. Mentioned you in the latest video

~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Working...
        X