Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Copal 225 help needed for newbie - hours flip at minute 23 and 38

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copal 225 help needed for newbie - hours flip at minute 23 and 38

Hello,
    I just got my first flip clock, a Copal 225, it looks to be in amazing shape but it had a few things wrong with it. I was able to fix two of them but the third issue I don't know what to do. I have zero experience with flip clocks other than what I've watched on youtube since I got the clock. The hours flip at 23 and then again at 38, not at 00. I' not sure how to adjust or fix this. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you... from a newbie.

Congrats on your Copal 225, that is a fine clock!

When does the hour move to the next hour? Does it go to the next hour at 23 or at 38? The hour tiles flipping at 23 minutes and roughly at 38 minutes is not abnormal behavior. In the 'newer' flip clocks, especially the Copal ones, every hour has 2 tiles and the hour flips twice per 60 minutes. 38 is a little bit early perhaps, right around that minute the minute tiles have a protrusion which push the black metal tine (which sits between the minute and the hour tiles, if you do not have that, that could be your issue) in front of the hour tiles so it does not flip until the '00' minute tile has shown itself.

I hope this makes sense?

Comment

In other words ... your clock might be missing something. What flipoclock wrote is exactly correct. But if you don't have that doohickey that he's talking about it may be difficult to understand. I'm actually right in the middle of working on a 225 situation and I'm making a video for you. It's probably got way too much information, but it's interesting (to me, anyway) how these clocks work.

It should be finished soon. I'm uploading the raw video now.
      ~ Mackey Site Administrator
      If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
      If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Here's a closer look at the Copal 225 Mechanism

~ Mackey Site Administrator
        If you have any questions/comments Contact Me
        If you're not a member, you should consider joining!

Comment

Thank you very much for the replies. It looks I have the middle spring and it seems to be working correctly. I will try syncing the gears and see how that works. Thank you so much for doing the video!!!!

Comment

It is working now. Thank you very much for all you help!!!

Comment

Working...
            X