Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

“Careful with that oil Eugene.”

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

“Careful with that oil Eugene.”

Just a timely reminder why you do not try and oil synchronous motors (see pic).
    I think that the previous​[FONT=Calibri] owner tipped the Russian oil reserves into this one which of course just sprays out of the motor onto the flips and sticks them nicely together [FONT=Segoe UI Emoji]

Yeah, I actually come across this quite often when buying clocks, that are 'seemingly' unrestored... It's a whole lotta work and when you're unlucky, you did not get everything and when you let it run, after a week, the tiles are soaking again. You should actually take the whole mechanism apart and clean it, but yeah, that's quite some work as well (in some cases).

Comment

I have bought 2 or 3 clocks that had something like that picture on the tiles. When that oil dries for a loooong time it’s really hard to remove.

Comment

Oh yeah, when it is still wet, it is relatively easy, but indeed when it has semi-dried or dried, it is almost impossible to fully remove...

Comment

OMG! I have seen some like this as well but not his bad. Some people have no idea what they are doing and just try to solve every issue with a generous dose of WD40.

Often I have spent a lot of time in cleaning each tile with water and soap and a soft cloth. And one time where I could easily separate the mechanism from the electrics I submerged the whole mechanism in water and soap to see if it speeds up the cleaning. I am even considering to buy an ultrasonic cleaner for this purpose Not sure though if that will not also remove the numbers...

Comment

I also met this kind of problem before. I would take the whole mechanism apart and put the flips part into the warm water with some dishwashing detergent to clean the oil. After that, I would try to let the flips part as dry as possbile by using tissue or dishcloth before assemble it again.

I tried this method on serveral flipclocks, and the results were good.

Comment

Working...
            X