Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winding a new coil for a Boselli slave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Winding a new coil for a Boselli slave

I think I need to wind a new coil for a Boselli Icon 30 that's missing its original coil. The original coil, made for +/- 24V impulses, had a whopping 23,500 turns. I spotted a picture of a Solari Udine Cifra 6 on this site that has the very same Lavet-type movement, but a 12V coil with 11,750 turns. I've never wound such a big coil myself, so I'm wondering if I need a proper winding machine to pull it off. The combination of a huge number of turns and very fine wire gauge (0.19mm) is daunting. I'm concerned that if I use a makeshift cordless drill setup, I'll snap the wire.

Any ideas or advice?

I've seen where people have modified an old sewing machine to make a coil winding machine. It also depends upon how much effort and ingenuity you're willing to put in. I'd suggest searching youtube for "coil winding" for some ideas.

Comment

I tried to use the coil of closing electromagnet to replace the broken coil of one of my slave clock.
      After some modifications, it could work on my slave clock, but not flipclock type.

Maybe you can try this way as well.

Here is the taobao link for your reference.

Comment

• epollari
        epollari commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been looking around as well for solenoids on eBay and AliExpress, but none of their coils appear to come close in terms of specs. Those coils feature thicker wire, fewer turns and lower resistance, and hence, draw far more current.

• eathan21th
        eathan21th commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe the spec. of the coil can not be exactly the same. If the target is to let the clock work again, then it is worth to give it a try.

• epollari
        epollari commented
        Editing a comment
        I've been using an online coil calculator (http://production-solution.com/coil-calculator.htm) to check if the solenoid coils with dissimilar turns and wire gauges come close to the electromagnetic force that's needed (2.5 to 3 N). So far, no dice.
    Working...
    X