Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Battery operated Solari Cifra 3 with 'minute-drumroll' stuck?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery operated Solari Cifra 3 with 'minute-drumroll' stuck?

I have a battery operated Solari Cifra 3 here with a bit of a weird issue.

It came to me with a bent arm for the minute drumroll, this seems to be a common issue with the modern Cifra 3. This was relatively easily fixed, it is a bit time consuming before you get it bent back absolutely perfect, but in the end I got that done and the arm now catches on to the wheel for the minutes just fine. Now came another issue, maybe or maybe not related to this... With the motor/drive mounted to the clock, the wheel for the minutes appears to be almost completely stuck. The arm is absolutely unable to move it and when I try to move it by hand, it takes a lot of force to hopefully get it moved forward only one minute. But.... When I remove the drivemotor and the gear which latches on to the roll for the minutes, it moves just fine, the arm will move it and by hand I can also move it perfectly. Am I missing something here? Is this wear and tear or could something be broken? I have a vintage Cifra 3 here for parts and was keen to remove that bit to see what I can discover if there is something swappable, but in the vintage Cifra 3, the mail shaft seems to be stuck on the left side, it appears to be impossible to remove it unfortunately.

Has anyone had a similar issue in the past with the newer Cifra 3 or do you have an idea what it could be? I do not have much experience with this modern clock to be honest... To paint a complete picture, the wheel for the hours is perfectly adjustable with the knob on the side, it's just the wheel for the minutes that seems to be stuck in some kind of way.

I ended up replacing the entire shaft + 2 drumrolls + the section that holds the 2 arms (one for the minutes, one for the hours) with an original Cifra 3 (parts clock). It turns out that these parts are 100% exchangable and after I had done this, it works supersmooth... Does this go to show that old is better than new? Not sure, but I do know that I will not be working on a new Cifra 3, battery powered, anymore... I've had my fill of these

Comment

Yes, that seems to be a common fault and this is what it was sent out with initially, but it turned out that there was more going on with it unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
      X