Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lloyds flip clock not flipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lloyds flip clock not flipping

Hi everyone I have this Lloyd’s flip clock
    model: 1J61G-118D
    and everything pretty much works except that small rotary bit piece doesn’t spin making the clock not flip any suggestions?

Hi and welcome to this forum! I had to look up your clock, but it looks like it has a Copal (or similar) mechanism inside? You will have to open it up to assess the situation. It is possible that the rotary bit (within the scene, we call that the 'whirligig') has seized and only needs a bit of cleaning a some fresh lubrication, it could also be that the coil around which it turns, has died.
    Do the other functions of the machine work, like the alarm for instance? It is also possible that a wire on the inside has come loose...

Comment

Yes everything else works, the clock light works, the unit itself hums slightly when powered up, and the radio and alarm work too I’ll open it up and see but is there any manual for this clock brand I can refer to when opening it up?

Comment

Ok I got good news I opened it up gave the motor a spin a few times plugged it in and it spun up slowly but after a while it spun up to normal speed keeping the date and time accurately, thank you

Comment

But will it ever stop working anytime soon now that I left it running normally for about 1 hour straight

Comment

That is quite possible.... Not sure what triggers it in the end, a power outage could very easily trigger it. It for sure needs a bit of lubrication, at the very least.

Comment

How would I do that?

Comment

Working...
              X