Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belittled Bulova B-5203, bringing it back!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Belittled Bulova B-5203, bringing it back!

Another one of my recent eBay finds, a Bulova flip clock! I'm a large Bulova fan in general, the accutron watch movement / brand is what I believe to be one of the under-appreciated marvels of the 20th century.

Just for fun, a picture of my 1967 Accutron Spaceview I acquired this summer, it has a important story behind it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6904.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	26869

Back to the other Bulova! This is my first flip clock from this brand, so I was wondering what sort of mechanism / construction it would use. Turns out, it's very similar to other "non-copal" mechanism flip clocks from the time, like Seth Thomas.

Name:	IMG_0871.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	26870

As like any clock I scrummage from eBay, it was filthy! But not broken at least.

Name:	IMG_0872.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	26871

Name:	IMG_0873.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	185.9 KB
ID:	26872

You can tell it was a survivor, even as dirty as it is, the neon bulb is still trying after all this time at the very tip!

First up was building a new neon bulb / wire set and getting that installed, then oiling all the gears / bushings. After a closer look, it uses a sealed gear case / inductor (hope I'm thinking of the right thing) to keep moving. However, this gear case looks different than the other omron models I'm used to.

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	26874

Name:	IMG_0876.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	240.6 KB
ID:	26875

And of course, we need to address the cosmetics with a plastic UV treatment!

Name:	IMG_0877.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	26876

Comment

Nice clock and nice work! As far as I have seen, with all the Bulova flip clocks I have laid my hands on (and opened up), they all have a generic clockwork on the inside.

Comment

Well, at least I know what I’m in for if I pickup another one!

I decided to service the rotor assembly rather than leave it be. This brings me back to the Sony roller clock I did forever ago, but this time I have much better tools.

Following this gentlemen’s guide (https://youtu.be/nyAuWRVSSuU) that is used for Telechron motors, it was pretty simple to service it. Hopefully this keeps it going for another 50 years.

Comment

After placing a carefully considered hole into the rotor casing, I was able to relube the internals using synthetic clock oil. I found about 1-1 1/2 ml of oil is all it takes. Too much, and the geartrain will run slow.

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	310.4 KB
ID:	26956

Interestingly, it's a Toshiba rotor / motor assembly. I sealed the hole with hot glue, being careful to not allow for any to drip inside the movement.

Name:	IMG_0886.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	327.8 KB
ID:	26955

And with that, this clock is complete, beauty shot time! The brutalist, mid-century design really stands out.

Name:	IMG_0917.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	231.0 KB
ID:	26957

Name:	IMG_0919.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.2 KB
ID:	26954

Comment

Working...