Welcome!

Welcome to the forum for collectors, restorers and fans of flip clocks. Please Sign Up if you would like to take part.

By the way, signing up is free..

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seized motor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seized motor?

Hello. This is my first foray into the world of Sankyo. I bought one and the motor seems to be seized. Is this a normal failure in these? I've been looking for a way to disassemble the motor further but I don't want to stress the old plastic and risk damage. Thank you! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20221203_134402-01.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	700.6 KB
ID:	26813 Click image for larger version

Name:	20221203_134804-01.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	546.0 KB
ID:	26814
    Attached Files

I figured it out. The old lubricant had solidified on the shaft.

Comment

Good job on this! One solution to try in a case as this is to give the motor an overdosis of WD40 (at least in the parts where you suspect it is stuck), that will usually do the trick, but if you can prevent that, that is even better because in the long run WD40 is not advisable for your motor.

Comment

Well done! You have taken this motor further apart than I ever did

But, could it be the small gear on the rotor has cracked? The picture is a bit too dark to see it clearly, so maybe I'm mistaken, but it looks like it. That is a very common problem with these Intermatic motors. If so, this post is hopefully helpful: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...nning-too-fast

Comment

Originally posted by Johan de Jong View Post
          Well done! You have taken this motor further apart than I ever did

But, could it be the small gear on the rotor has cracked? The picture is a bit too dark to see it clearly, so maybe I'm mistaken, but it looks like it. That is a very common problem with these Intermatic motors. If so, this post is hopefully helpful: https://www.flipclockfans.com/forum/...nning-too-fast
          Yes, that gear was crumbling like the rest. I took the guts out of a standard quartz clock movement, modified it and replaced that gear. I'm almost finished rebuilding the entire motor. I'll post another thread dedicated to the refurbishment of this entire clock and a thread on how I refurbished the oiler that sits under that main motor gear. Click image for larger version  Name:	20221203_232519-01.jpg Views:	0 Size:	604.4 KB ID:	26824

Comment

Working...
          X